Dip Stick

/ Dip Stick #1  

sandybeach

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510H
Branson 3510i.

The engine oil dip stick is not like the dip stick on most engines.

On most engines the dip stick is stamped with useful info such as "need oil," a range of "OK," and a "full" marker. On the Branson there is no information stamped on the dip stick. There are two notches, and you'd think that those indicate "need oil," a range of "OK," and "full." However, the distance between the notches seems huge.

But it gets stranger. The owner's manual (yes, I DO RTFM) says the engine oil capacity is 1.66 gallons (just a few drops less than 7 quarts). But when I drain and fill as per TFM, 7 quarts results in an oil level on the dipstick that is twice as far up the stick as is the second notch.

I'm baffled. I'm thinking of adding my own notches to the dip stick (on the opposing side, of course). But I'd like to know what's going on with the factory dip stick. How does the factory expect me to use it? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
   / Dip Stick #2  
I can't say specifically about the Branson, because I have no experience with them.

However, in general, if the oil level is too high, it can cause excessive oil consumption and it's really hard on the front and rear mains. (engine oil seals)

Have you checked with the dealer to make sure that your tractor has the correct dipstick? And, what did the service department say about the oil level?

/ Dip Stick #3  
But when I drain and fill as per TFM, 7 quarts results in an oil level on the dipstick that is twice as far up the stick as is the second notch.

I assume that's after you've restarted the engine and let the oil filter refill (depending on filter orientation)?

Note: 1.66 gallons = 6.64 quarts. So you adding an extra .36 quarts (.72 pints / 11.5 ounces / about a soda cans worth) of oil. Though one wouldn't think this would put oil "twice as far up the stick" . :confused3:

[Are there any other marks on the stick? (fyi: Korean symbol for "Full" is "전체" or "가득하다" :eek:) ]

/ Dip Stick #4  
1st comment: Make sure it is GALLONS, not LITERS.
2nd comment: I would put just enough oil in it to bring it to the TOP notch, and keep track of how much was used. It is possible that the dip stick is marked wrong, also. Check with dealer about amount of oil to be used.

Good luck.

/ Dip Stick
Thanks for looking that up for me. However, it's hard to tell where to begin on describing the mistakes in the charts on those pages. I thought "this must be about some other tractor ...." And it is about some tractor other than mine (assuming the part about years made 2002-2005). Mine is year 2010, model 3510i.

On the qty of oil added: I put in 4 quarts from the 1-gal jug + 2 quarts from the 1-qt bottles + a bit shy of 1 pint (perhaps 13-14 oz); let's call it 206 fl.oz. Interestingly, I called the dealer today about something else and threw in that question as a bonus. He said the manual is wrong, and the proper amount is 1.44 gallons (and that I should note the correction in the manual). That's 184 oz. Since I put in 206 oz., it's 22 oz. over-filled. Now I get to drain some off. <sigh> He also said the dip stick has no relation to reality.

/ Dip Stick
There are no marks - in any language - except the 2 notches. The dealer said that once I get the true amount in the engine, let it sit with the engine off for at least 1/2 hour. Then dip the stick, see where the oil level is, and scratch the stick at that location.

/ Dip Stick
It is gallons (not litres). The dealer said the manual and the dipstick are both wrong.

/ Dip Stick #9  
There are no marks - in any language - except the 2 notches. The dealer said that once I get the true amount in the engine, let it sit with the engine off for at least 1/2 hour. Then dip the stick, see where the oil level is, and scratch the stick at that location.

....after you've run it long enough to fill the filter.