century 2535 losing power

/ century 2535 losing power #1  

swede1111

Tractor
century 2535
I have a 11y/o century 2535. I bought it new and have met or exceeded all of the suggested maintenance. Two years ago, I began to have the following problem: On a hot (in Missouri thats between 90 and105 degrees) day when working the tractor heavily, e.g.brushhogging, for an hour or so, it will began to lose power. It is heat-related because the heat gauge will move from just before the center mark to just after the center mark and will regain power if I open the hood and cool it down. The first time it happened, I thought the radiator screen was plugged. As I was almost done and the problem seemed to be cleared, I smiled re my diagnostic skills a went home. Next time that didn't work and since the sensation was that the tractor was running extremely lean...hence the power loss and heat rise...I suspected the electric fuel lift pump so replaced it.....no help so I relocated the pump as far from the exhaust manifold as possible....no help. So at this point I'm not sure if the heat is causing the power loss or the power loss is from the rise in engine temperature. Other than this heat related problem, I can work the snot out of this little guy with no problem. Any ideas out there????

/ century 2535 losing power #2  
Have you checked/changed the fuel filter?
Checked bowl for water/trash?

/ century 2535 losing power
Yup and Yup

/ century 2535 losing power #4  
Swede1111, I have the same tractor only mine is 10 years old now. One strange thing I found was that the fuel shut off valve on the fuel filter got to where it would not open fully and the tractor would run for a while and then slow down from lack of fuel. I finally just removed the nylon valve assembly and have had no further problems, although I cannot shut the fuel flow off to the filter assembly. I have not run mine in quite that extreme heat, but I am wondering if the nylon is swelling and restricting your fuel flow. The hood and side covers do not quite allow enough air to flow through the radiator unless removed in very hot weather. Keep us posted as to what you find. W Jones.

/ century 2535 losing power
52wej....thx for the tip, I'll check it. I had planned to take off the side panels but after your post , I think I'll just take off the left side first and if it still occurs it'll give me an idea re the shutoff valve

/ century 2535 losing power #6  
What I found was that the pawls on the shut off lever did not engage the nylon valve and when I shut the valve off to change the fuel filter it never opened it fully. It took me quite a while and some strong language to find this out, but once I removed the nylon valve and left the lever in place, no further problems; course I do not have a shut off valve either!. Good Luck. W. Jones :eek: