How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers?

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #1  

Bullstrode35

Tractor
Kubota B7100hst, Branson 6530R
I need to remove the handles from the control levers on my 6530R ( - that's R for ROPS, not C for Cab) so that I can slide the control panels off and fix a few things underneath. (Picture of control panel attached).

The parts catalogue shows a couple of pieces on the end of the levers but not how they're attached - nor detached.

I'm sure it's simple to do once you know how. Any suggestions please?

With thanks,

B35

Attachments

• Branson 6530 Controls ï½®.jpg
    Branson 6530 Controls ï½®.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 243
   / How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #2  
You have the same panels as I do on my C. Most handles that don't have a visible set screw just push on. The lever is usually ridged, like a very coarse cut saw blade with no pitch to help in holding them on. It does take some tugging. I haven't had mine off so I am speaking from my experiences in pulling handles off other machinery. If it were a round lever then one could look for threads at the base of the handle but these aren't round, like you would find on a tranny "floor shift type" shift lever.

HTH,
Mark

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #3  
To remove any kind of push on handle tip, take something like an adjustable wrench that has 90 degree edges and close it so that it just has clearance of the operating rod. pull up on the wrench and the top will pop off easily.. Tugging on the top is counterproductive as you just make it stick harder on the operating rod, using the same principle as a Chinese finger stall toy.

removing knob with wrench.jpg

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #4  
To remove any kind of push on handle tip, take something like an adjustable wrench that has 90 degree edges and close it so that it just has clearance of the operating rod. pull up on the wrench and the top will pop off easily.. Tugging on the top is counterproductive as you just make it stick harder on the operating rod, using the same principle as a Chinese finger stall toy.

View attachment 390822

Now that is a great idea and I agree with you on being counter productive. Thanks. I'll use it the next time in need.

A little pun here. We used to kid around about Metric "Crescent" (brand) adjustable wrenches back when Metrics started invading the US in force. Well, believe it or not, I have an adjustable wrench in my tool box with the word Metric forged into the handle. Ha! Course we always referred to adjustable wrenches as Crescent because in growing up that is all you saw. Kinda like "Kleenex" was THE word for facial tissue. Course at work we were advised against such for company produced products as you can loose your trademark like that....don't know the legalities on how that happens.

Mark

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #5  
Now that is a great idea and I agree with you on being counter productive. Thanks. I'll use it the next time in need.

A little pun here. We used to kid around about Metric "Crescent" (brand) adjustable wrenches back when Metrics started invading the US in force. Well, believe it or not, I have an adjustable wrench in my tool box with the word Metric forged into the handle. Ha! Course we always referred to adjustable wrenches as Crescent because in growing up that is all you saw. Kinda like "Kleenex" was THE word for facial tissue. Course at work we were advised against such for company produced products as you can loose your trademark like that....don't know the legalities on how that happens.

Mark

I have also seen "crescent" wrench's marketed with a "standard" model and a "metric" model..I guess some people buy both!:D

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers?
Just to say thanks for your comments Texasmark and k0ua. My 6530R is currently with our Branson distributor for a few days and so he kindly showed me the trick for removing some of the handles ( - thanks Troy!). It's as follows ...

For the plain, push-on handles like on the 3-point position and draft levers, it's simply push-on and pull-off as you previously suggested. Incidentally, thanks for the tip about using an adjustable spanner. I wouldn't have thought of that.

For the levers with a yellow or orange top, like for the hydraulics or gears, you actually need to prise off the coloured top first - either by firm grasp or using a thin screwdriver blade under it. After that, there's a bolt to remove the underneath black cover. Once the tractor's back in my shed, I'll attempt to take a picture and add that to this thread for completeness, in case somebody else has the same problem in future.

With thanks again,

B35

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #7  
Just to say thanks for your comments Texasmark and k0ua. My 6530R is currently with our Branson distributor for a few days and so he kindly showed me the trick for removing some of the handles ( - thanks Troy!). It's as follows ...

For the levers with a yellow or orange top, like for the hydraulics or gears, you actually need to prise off the coloured top first - either by firm grasp or using a thin screwdriver blade under it. After that, there's a bolt to remove the underneath black cover.
B35

That thought did cross my mind as the stark contrast between the top cap and side eluded to the cap being removable. The reason why I didn't suggest it is the mechanism. With a vertical shaft and vertical handle, going at it vertically, how do you get the desired result.

I think I'll prise the top off one when I go outside in a bit and see for myself.

Would appreciate pics anyway.

Thanks,
Mark

/ How d'ya get the handles off a Branson 6530R's control levers? #8  
Well it's pretty obvious when you are sitting there and looking at them rather than your computer screen. The ones with the pop off, colored caps are on thick shafts permitting one to tap the end. Then the handle just slides over the shaft and a screw threads into the threaded shaft end holding the cap in place. Seems simple enough.

Mark