Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R?

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #1  

LindenBruce

Gold Member
Tractor
Husky GT2654, Branson 4520TLB
Hello all,

Does anyone know what strategies Branson used to make the 5220R Tier 4 compatible? Did they use DPF? Urea? EGR? There are no details on their website.

Thanks,
Bruce

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #3  
DPF only, no Urea. Branson has done extensive research on this prior to coming to the tier 4 compatibility. They discovered that it is cheaper to do just the DPF and not the Urea even after having to replace the DPF when the time comes. They company that is building the DPF for the Branson tractor is a very reputable company and has built DPF systems for the higher end diesel engines.

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R?
DPF huh? So does the engine go into a regen cycle from time to time to burn off the soot? Or does it have a finite life span at which time it just gets changed? Thanks, Bruce

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #5  
DPF huh? So does the engine go into a regen cycle from time to time to burn off the soot? Or does it have a finite life span at which time it just gets changed? Thanks, Bruce

From my understanding there is a life span of about 800-1000 hrs and dpf needs to be replaced. The light will come on and the filter will become plugged and the engine will not run. Dpf needs replacing. Of course this is usually done under warranty as long it meets the specified time and hour range. Branson is also looking at an exchange for when it is not under warranty. Of course it's always good to get any tier 4 engines up to operating temp as that will help clean the filter and prolong the life of the dpf.

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #6  
I do not have a tractor with these systems yet but have had a truck with them. DPF and Urea are two completely different systems. To my knowledge there are no tractor manufactures running Urea in CUT's. Also all the systems with DPF are going to run a regen process otherwise that filter will not last very long.

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #7  
I do not have a tractor with these systems yet but have had a truck with them. DPF and Urea are two completely different systems. To my knowledge there are no tractor manufactures running Urea in CUT's. Also all the systems with DPF are going to run a regen process otherwise that filter will not last very long.

Do you think the regen on these small tractors is just wot (wide open throttle)? Not an actual regen? I do know the bransons don't have a fuel line going to the dpf just 2 pressure sensors and temp sensor. Any thoughts on that? Do you think 800-1000 hrs is short life? I have a 3500 ram with the cummins 6.7 and have 75000 miles on her and haven't replaced the dpf. Some say you'll only get 75000 miles out of them on the ram since no Urea. I don't know, I have only seen my light on once saying it needs to regen. I thought kioti had urea? Maybe not.

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R?
My understanding was that DPF systems do have a regen cycle to help burn out the soot build up. BUT, if there is no line to the DPF, then I guess there is no fuel/urea injection into the DPF to get it hot and burn off soot. I know the Ford 6.0 PSD's advise against excessive idling conditions but that's not because of the catalyst. It's because of the EGR system and variable vane turbo have a tendency to plug up. So I would guess the same might apply to Tier 4 tractors. Keep the engine speeds up most of the time to keep things good and hot. I don't know that's why I'm asking. Bruce

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #9  
My understanding was that DPF systems do have a regen cycle to help burn out the soot build up. BUT, if there is no line to the DPF, then I guess there is no fuel/urea injection into the DPF to get it hot and burn off soot. I know the Ford 6.0 PSD's advise against excessive idling conditions but that's not because of the catalyst. It's because of the EGR system and variable vane turbo have a tendency to plug up. So I would guess the same might apply to Tier 4 tractors. Keep the engine speeds up most of the time to keep things good and hot. I don't know that's why I'm asking. Bruce
Ya I believe keep them warm. Too long at idle not good.

/ Tier 4 strategy for the 5220R? #10  
I think the extra fuel to burn off the DPF is injected by the fuel injectors at the cylinder head at the correct time so that the over-fuel will go through the exhaust and light off the DPF. The fact that it has pressure sensors to measure the delta across the DPF makes me pretty sure it has a regen cycle. To do otherwise and have to replace it when clogged would be a show stopper I'd think. I think my 6.4l Ford F350 injects excess fuel at the injectors to light off the DPF also. The downside of this method is under light use, some of the excess fuel ends up in the crankcase. Ford replaced my DPF at 99k miles under warranty.