4720I Branson

/ 4720I Branson #1  

BM9913

Tractor
Branson 4720I
I just purchased a Branson 4720I from a private party with 511 hrs on it. It came with 6 ft brush hog and new tiller. Everything worked great when testing it out, just a small leak where one of the hoses goes into the pump, should be an easy fix. The next day when I went out to start it, it cranked forever and finally started. After the initial start it, it starts just fine. But every morning, I have to let it crank. On the second day the battery died while cranking it. I charged the battery for about 25 minutes and then it started just fine. Cranking and not starting makes me think a fuel issue, but then it starts and run fine. Do I just need a new battery?

/ 4720I Branson #2  
Does your 4720 have an indicator light for the glow plugs? On my 2400H you turn the key to on position and wait for this light to go out and then start the engine. With no glow plugs on cooler / cold days diesels can be troublesome to get running.

/ 4720I Branson #3  
congrats on your purchase i think you will be very happy with your purchase, however with all used equipment you never know how the previous owner treated the machine i suggest replacing all the soft rubber lines on the fuel system since they are several years old> I think what is happening is air is getting into the fuel system then making it hard to start when cold , also you may want to check the glow plugs

/ 4720I Branson
Thanks guys. I actually took the battery today and had it tested, I was only pushing 540 cranking amps, so bought a new battery and it started like it should. That's a good point on the fuel lines. About the glow plugs, it has been in the 50s here and the light stays on for about 20 seconds, is that normal?

/ 4720I Branson #5  
Yes that's normal. A lot of diesels need glow plugs no matter what the temp they just like to be warm prior to fireing. The glow plugs will actually stay on for several seconds after the engine has run but the light will not be on. Glow plugs do need pretty good juice from the battery so if your battery wasn't up to snuff you might have not had enough voltage getting to the plugs. Branson has a temperature regulator that cycles the glow plugs so basically it senses ambient air temperature and tells the glow plugs how long they should cycle. Let us know how this unit works for you.. Have fun with it..

/ 4720I Branson
Yes that's normal. A lot of diesels need glow plugs no matter what the temp they just like to be warm prior to fireing. The glow plugs will actually stay on for several seconds after the engine has run but the light will not be on. Glow plugs do need pretty good juice from the battery so if your battery wasn't up to snuff you might have not had enough voltage getting to the plugs. Branson has a temperature regulator that cycles the glow plugs so basically it senses ambient air temperature and tells the glow plugs how long they should cycle. Let us know how this unit works for you.. Have fun with it..

Thanks, I put the tractor in the garage and cranked the heat. The next morning it started great. I haven't tested the glow plugs yet, but it just might be a cold nature tractor. So far I have loved the tractor. Ill be doing some brush hogging with it next week if the weather stays nice. I'll let you now how it goes.