Oil & Fuel 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue
Are they going to warranty it? On my 5220r it has a small computer to monitor the converter/dpf. Completely stand alone. Looks to me like a fellow could almost bolt a muffler on from a earlier non emission tractor and be good to go.

yes, dealer service was great...

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #12  
Engine is "NOT" computer controlled. Sounds like an unusual pre-mature failure of the DPF. Mechanical fuel injection so the only way the engine will not run is if the DPF is completely plugged. If that's the case in 70 hours I'm sure it's a failure of the dpf itself. That's not normal. These DPF's were designed and proven to last at least 4000 hours and built by Mercedes Benz. Branson claims that you should run your engine above 1500rpms occasionally to help burn out the soot. And of course don't let idle very long. Unfortunatly because of the EPA, we are paying higher prices for equipment and fuel. AS far as I'm concerned they are just a $$$$ Hungry organization that should not have ever been invented.
Several people have stated already that Branson's have a DOC not a DPF. The original post the party stated that his DPF was clogged. But it has a DOC, so his DOC was clogged.

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #13  
It's a DPF, and the engine is not computer controlled. As Mr Bitz says. It is somewhat of a standalone system. If the DPF was removed and a muffler was installed, it would run fine without a "delete" modification to the ECM like is needed in trucks to fool the computer into thinking the DPF is still there. But removing the DPF is not legal, just like on trucks and in no circumstances would we recommend it, not even with a wink and a nod so to speak. But yes, they need to be run hard enough to burn them off. These engines are made to run at full speed, it does no damage to this engine to run it at full PTO rpm. In fact it is probably better for it then running just off idle and never warming up. So at very least, run it hard occasionally and let the exhaust get hot.

BTW, I do not know of any other manufacturer that took this approach. Essentially you get the old Tier III engine with a fancy DPF muffler and no complicated engine controls. Not a bad idea.

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #14  
It's a DPF, and the engine is not computer controlled. As Mr Bitz says. It is somewhat of a standalone system. If the DPF was removed and a muffler was installed, it would run fine without a "delete" modification to the ECM like is needed in trucks to fool the computer into thinking the DPF is still there. But removing the DPF is not legal, just like on trucks and in no circumstances would we recommend it, not even with a wink and a nod so to speak. But yes, they need to be run hard enough to burn them off. These engines are made to run at full speed, it does no damage to this engine to run it at full PTO rpm. In fact it is probably better for it then running just off idle and never warming up. So at very least, run it hard occasionally and let the exhaust get hot.

BTW, I do not know of any other manufacturer that took this approach. Essentially you get the old Tier III engine with a fancy DPF muffler and no complicated engine controls. Not a bad idea.
Really makes you wonder why everyone else went with electronic injection.

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #15  
Really makes you wonder why everyone else went with electronic injection.

Yes it does. And I sure don't have an answer to that. Mahindra did it with electronic injection and no DPF. So you have a more complex engine, but a simple exhaust. Branson kept the engine simple, but you now have a fancy exhaust. Some manufacturers did both, CRD and DPF. Some sizes/brand also have SCR.

It will be interesting in 5 years to see what ends up being the best method, because I am sure given some time the better solutions will rise to the top. Remember in the automotive world when we went from carbs to electronic carbs with a ton of vacuum hoses, then eventually to throttle body injection. That was really cool, until port fuel injection came along, and so forth. So it may be that all of the current tractor solutions will be replaced by something even better eventually.

When the good old 4-barrel went away, we were pretty sure we would never see high-performance again. But alas, we have cars that approach 200 MPH getting better mileage than the old Pintos and Vegas. My last Z06 would nudge 200 MPH given the nerve and a safe place to do it, and would get 26 MPG at 70 mph on the freeway. Had we not been forced by EPA to clean up emissions back in the days of carburetors, I'm not sure we would have seen cars like we have now. I do think they are over reaching now, but there has been some good from all of this for sure.

Last edited:
   / 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #17  
I wonder if when the expensive DPF muffler clogs/breaks after warranty is done if it would be as simple as putting on a old muffler pre DPF on a 3520

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #19  
I am experiencing the same issue I think. My 3520H has less than 10 hrs on it. I have been able to bog it down a few time using the FEL. I am running the rpms to 2000. Is this to low...? Just yesterday I was moving some brush with the FEL and the tractor keep dying on me. I was running the rpms at 2000 and the brush wasn't heavy or anything. The tractor just kept dying after a few seconds after I restarted it. This happened for about 30 minutes. I checked the gas meter and had 1/4 tank left. Finally I started it and it was sluggish for a bit then ran strong back to the garage. I checked everything over didn't see any oddities. It has been real windy and dusty so I took the air filter out and it wasn't dirty. I really am not sure what is going on. I read starting it and letting it run a while helps clear it out but I am new to this tractor. It is way different than my 8n.

/ 2015 Branson 3520h DPF Issue #20  
cbs2016
You might be sucking air at 1/4 tank if you are not level. It seems that on my 4020R the fuel pickup is on one side. If you are leaning the wrong way the pickup starts to suck air. Mine did this mowing on side hills when I first got it. Probably a downside to the low fuel tank, not enough room below to have two bottom drains to one line to the engine.