PTO / 3 point Isue

/ PTO / 3 point Isue #1  

XTechRep

Tractor
Branson 3820i
I have a 3820i with about 150 hours. Last fall I mowed everything and unhooked the cutter for the winter. Now I have hooked it back up and have 2 problems. I don't know if they are related or not. First the PTO no longer drives. With the speed lever in neutral the shaft turns freely. With the lever in either speed position the shaft is locked up. This happens with the PTO selection in either position. Second, now my 3 point pulses. It will lift and lower, but pulses up and down as if it is bleeding off and then lifts back to position. This happens no matter where I have the bleed off valve set. The manuals are limited and I cannot find the PTO solenoid. Any suggestions would be appreciated, my grass is getting high.

/ PTO / 3 point Isue #2  
I have a 3820i with about 150 hours. Last fall I mowed everything and unhooked the cutter for the winter. Now I have hooked it back up and have 2 problems. I don't know if they are related or not. First the PTO no longer drives. With the speed lever in neutral the shaft turns freely. With the lever in either speed position the shaft is locked up. This happens with the PTO selection in either position. Second, now my 3 point pulses. It will lift and lower, but pulses up and down as if it is bleeding off and then lifts back to position. This happens no matter where I have the bleed off valve set. The manuals are limited and I cannot find the PTO solenoid. Any suggestions would be appreciated, my grass is getting high.
2 different issues I think. There is a piston, basically under the seat, that drives the rockshaft to raise/lower the implement. There is also a control that tells the hydraulics to keep the three point in a set position. Your piston is allowing oil to bypass and the control keeps allowing some oil to enter to keep it level, hence the bump. In a normal application, there is always a little oil that slips by the piston rings but it is so little and so infrequent that the occasional correction is hardly noticed. You need to pop out that piston and replace the seals on it. Not hard to do actually. As far as the PTO, you need to put a gauge on the test port and see if pressure is being applied to the clutch packs. Your dealer can help with that. If no pressure, then I'd suspect a wiring issue or the PTO solenoid is sticky and not engaging. If I recall correctly, and I'm not a tech, it us under the tractor on the right side about below where your right heel would be.

/ PTO / 3 point Isue
Well, we may have fixed the PTO problem. You have to troubleshoot the manuals on these tractors before the tractor. What we found for the PTO problem was the (unmarked) PTO relay would not make. There were 4 (unmarked) relays under the cowling. Three appeared the same. We manually energized each. One would not. After swapping a couple the PTO lite came on and all was well. After playing with the relay it started working. I will get a spare. Gonna hook up cutter today to see if surging problem still exists. I will use your info to trouble shoot that. Thanx

/ PTO / 3 point Isue #5  
On the pto speed selector there is an unmarked neutal position. If you bump the lever it can end up in neutral. It happened to me and to someone else on here who's pto was not turning. I told him what I did and his then started working. Just in case someone else has this problem.