Received my 4720, disappointed

/ Received my 4720, disappointed #1  

sikmusicfreak8

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Branson 4720, 8620 Backhoe
Morning,

So after 4 weeks I finally received my 4720 from a dealer in Texas. I was buying sight unseen from California, so the owner assured me the tractor was well maintained and in great shape, with only 250 hours.

I told him he has a deal as long as all fluids and filters are good, as well as no leaks and that no repairs are needed. He said he would be sure and test everything and be sure it's perfect. They said to attach the hoe and test anything I had to pay first, and requested I OVERNIGHT payment, which I did.

Could never get a call back always had to call to inquire what was going on. Said it needed a new swing valve, which was probably fine, but they would change anyhow to make sure it was good.

Tractor finally shows yesterday, and the hoe is profusely leaking. Constant drip just sitting on the trailer. Carriers trailer was covered in hydraulic oil. Just on to pull off trailer, and immediately see the tachometer doesn't work. Then I noticed the hour meter doesn't work either. Tractor shows much more than 250 hours of wear and tear.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Received my 4720, disappointed #2  
caveat emptor

Simple Definition of caveat emptor by Merriam-Webster:

law : the principle that a person who buys something is responsible for making sure that it is in good condition, works properly, etc.

Full Definition of caveat emptor: a principle in commerce: without a warranty the buyer takes the risk.

Next time deposit your money into an escrow account, only releasing the money when item meets the conditions you and the seller agreed upon. There are escrow services you can access from the web. Most banks offer escrow services, a common financial service.

Last summer I reached agreement with a local handyman, who advertises in our county paper, for some lawn irrigation work. His estimate was $600, which I thought was pretty good. I gave him $300 at time of agreement for PVC pipe and sprinkler heads. I have not seen him since. None of my calls returned. He still advertises.

Subsequently I had an irrigation professional do the work. Total cost $1,000. Work satisfactory, started on time, finished on time. No money up front.

ANOTHER LESSON IN LIFE.

Last edited:
   / Received my 4720, disappointed
Waiting on a response from them. I have emails detailing conditions of the agreement, has to count for something. I'm not bashing them, as I haven't heard back as to what they plan to do yet, if anything. But if they tell me to kick rocks, our agreement is worthless because they did not deliver what was promised.

/ Received my 4720, disappointed #4  
Please keep us informed of the outcome. I would be reluctant to buy a used tractor without seeing it but Red's seems to be a reputable outfit so hopefully they'll do the right thing. If not, you have documentation of what was promised. Make sure you document the discrepancies against what was promised and insist that they live up to their promises.

Granbury TX. Talk to the owner and says everything was perfect leaving his lot, and he lost money on the deal trying to make sure it was good for me.

Says transportation is the culprit for all these issues. Asked why I cared if for tachometer or hour meter was working. Blah blah blah. Going to take my new to me tractor apart to see what's wrong and send him a report. Spent 22k on a tractor I can't use.

Not a single fluid or filter was changed, wasn't cleaned, multiple repairs needed before it even came off the trailer. I'm very unhappy

/ Received my 4720, disappointed #7  
I wish you the best of luck in resolving the issue.

How did you find this dealer?

Anytime someone cries that they lost money on a deal I automatically assume they're as full of sh## as a politician.

/ Received my 4720, disappointed #8  
Pardon me but 22k on a used Branson? Really? From halfway across the country? Can we see some pictures? Sorry to sound surprised but I think I need to recalibrate my opinion of this type of machine.
Mostly I just want to see pics. :thumbsup:

/ Received my 4720, disappointed #9  
Pardon me but 22k on a used Branson? Really? From halfway across the country? Can we see some pictures? Sorry to sound surprised but I think I need to recalibrate my opinion of this type of machine.
Mostly I just want to see pics. :thumbsup:

BTW, the whole "I lost money" thing is of course BS.

/ Received my 4720, disappointed #10  
Stories like yours really make my blood boil. I too got burned a while back buying a car on Ebay, sight unseen. Your not the first or the last that has been ripped off with a bunch of misleading statements by a seller. I wish you the best and hope the seller attempts to make this right somehow.