4720C Air Conditioner

/ 4720C Air Conditioner #1  

coolnick73

Bronze Member
I bought a 4720C this past winter and the heating system works great. Fast forward to spring-time and I found out that the A/C isn't working. I checked the 30A fuse and that looks good, when I pulled it the little light on the HVAC controls didn't light up. I looked and it looks like the clutch isn't kicking in on the compressor. Does the engine need to be at a certain RPM for the compressor to work? Any suggestions?

Thanks

/ 4720C Air Conditioner #2  
The clutch pulling in is a distinctive noise so you are at the first trouble shooting point. Every system has different controls and interlocks. You need the wiring diagram to trace out the electrical. Some systems have a low pressure switch which keeps the compressor off if refrigerant is too low. Keeps from sucking air and moisture into the system. Beyond electrical problems you are into the refrigerant circuit. Takes special tools, gauges, vacuum pump to remove air and leak test, leak detector. Not a real DIY process unless you have some AC experience.

Is your tractor new/in warranty; take it to the dealer. Otherwise get the tech manual on the AC system and become familiar with the system first.

Ron, former AC Tech

/ 4720C Air Conditioner
Just a followup, I took the tractor in under warranty and it turned out it was a faulty switch in the HVAC control unit, so they replaced the entire unit.