INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH

/ INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
I bought a cheap stereo to install into my 4720CH. The stereo has standard DIN input and output connections. Went to install it today. All I can find in the radio cavity is one connection plug that will not fit the a standard DIN connector. I called the dealer, he told me they sell an adapter kit to convert that connection to a connection that will fit my radio. They want $75 for it. I only spent $50 for the stereo (OK, so I am cheap!) Darned if I want to spend more for the plug-in than I did for the stereo. The radio came with a plug that you can use that has wires stubbed out of it that you can hard wire stuff in and out. I have a diagram for those wires that came with the stereo. I don't have a diagram for the Bronson connector. I could track it all out but that would be physically difficult in that little bitty area. Anyone know what color of wires are the power & ground, and which wires are for the speakers on the Bronson?

/ INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH #2  
Does the cab have speakers already? Pull the speakers and see which color wires are + and - for L & R.

All you need is a 12V test light or multi-meter for the rest. Find 12V "hot" when key is on.
If the stereo has a clock or digital presets, you'll need to find and/or run a 12v wire that's "live"
all the time to run the clock and keep stereo memory. A ground wire can be any good ground anywhere.

/ INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH #3  
I have a 4720ch as well.... I will be adding a stereo to mine, I looked at the connector and it the same one that my RV uses.. I figure either Bestbuy or an RV store may carry the adapter needed..

/ INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH
As LincTex suggested, I traced out the wires on the tractor connection. It was easy to do. They are as follows:

Lt spk +, Rt spk +, Unused, Switched 12V

Lt spk -, Rt spk -, Unswitched 12V, Ground

I have looked online for male connectors on line that match the female on the Branson, (there are seemingly millions of different types!) but haven't found anything yet. Don't have any Best Buys or RV dealers nearby. On other forums I have found posts where people have found the right connector, such as a $5 Metra 70-7712 that fits a mid '90's Honda that also happens to fit a Kioti NX. It is different than ours though. MJgood, if you know of a part number, that would sure help.

I have thought of trying to fabricate some spades to solder to the end of the wires on the stereo connectors and just plugging them into the tractor. That is probably my best bet so far. I would just stick the bare wires in the socket, but I am afraid they would shake out. I would prefer to cut the wires and splice them, But there is no way I can get my hands in that little hole where the connector is to do that kind of work.

My wife laughs at me and asks why I just don't spend the $75 for the right connector. It is a matter of principle now, I rather not have a stereo than get ripped off in buying a stupid connector.

Made some little copper spades, Soldered them on, all went well. Went to plug in the antenna, The antenna cable was coiled and tied at the front of the roof so I had to drop the ceiling to fetch it. If I knew I had to do that, I could have just cut he wires and soldered them together. If you ever drop the ceiling, be careful not to push up in the ceiling screws to restart them, you will bend the nut plates and have to drop the ceiling again to straighten them (as I learned through experience). All is done and working fine.

/ INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH #6  
A little off topic, but I went to turn my stock radio on in my 4720C and it went dark. I checked the fuses and the 5 amp for the interior light was blown. I replaced it and the next one blew immediately, I tried a 10 amp and the light turned on but the radio was still dark. Is there a fused power line behind the radio?

I don't know about stock radios, but my aftermarket radio has its own fuse on the back of the radio.

/ INSTALLING STEREO IN 4720CH #8  
To take out the stock radio, do I have to remove the entire head liner? I tried removing the two screws and pulling the radio out but it didn't budge. I didn't want to crack the head liner panel if there was some trick I was missing.

Again, I am not sure how the Stock radio is installed. But if it is a standard DIN mount, what you do is slide in a thin object such as a kitchen knife or something similar along each side of the radio. That will compress some tabs that hold it to the mount, and you can then easily slide the radio out. Don't drop the headliner if you don't have to. it is kind of a pain to re-install.