Oil filter for 4720ch

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
My tractor is coming up for its first oil change. The dealer told me that you still have to get the oil filter through Branson 'cause there aren't aftermarkets filters available yet for the 4720. Seems odd 'cause the tractor has been out for a while. I wouldn't mind buying the filter through him except for the fact he is 70 miles away. Is there an aftermarket filter available?

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #2  
I wouldn't mind buying the filter through him except for the fact he is 70 miles away. Is there an aftermarket filter available?

What number is on the filter you have?

It's most likely a 20mm thread filter .... Look up on for a 2005 Suzuki Verona and you've got it.

Wix 51344, 51083 or 57046 .... just chop off the "5" and now its a Napa 1344, 1083, or 7046. Same filter.

Champ PH2903
VALVOLINE VO52
AC-Delco PF57
STP S2903
Fram PH9897
Luber-Finer PH2903
PUROLATOR L17662

I have ordered all the Wix, Valvoline, ac Delco and Champ oil filters from Rockauto for only $1.40 each.
They are all very, very heavy filters. The boxes often have "shelf wear", but the filter is perfect.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch
The number on it is EA00001160B. I found an article (Branson Tractor Tech - www.mrbitztractors.com) on the net saying the oil filters used on Tier 4 Branson series 20 tractors are different than those used on tier 3 Branson series 20 tractors. It says tier 3 filters are smaller and will physically fit but do not provide adequate cooling for the oil (??, Has never occurred to me oil filters have a oil cooling function) I found a cross reference chart on the interweb that crosses references oil filters for seemingly everything. It says it has nothing in it's database for the Branson EA00001160B. I could find several cross references for the tier 3 filter (Branson part# HRA1102000A3) that gives the numbers above that Linc Tex noted, but that is apparently the wrong filter for the newer machines.

Maybe the dealer is right.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #4  
That does sound *somewhat* fishy.....
my 4.6 liter in my F150 has a "little" Motorcraft FL500S - its about the same size as what we use on our Bransons!
It's roughly 2.75" diameter by 3.25" long. It flows just fine and filters the oil just fine.
Oil filter size doesn't affect oil temperature at all, I would think. Most are rated right about 20 microns.
If you stay with a good brand (Napa/Wix/Carquest are all the same) then just run what fits, and don't obsess over it.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #5  
If you must have a BIG oil filter, use this one - it's almost 5" long!

Wix 51347 & Napa 1347 Oil Filter
Wix 51347 & Napa 1347 Oil Filter: FleetFilter Secure Store - Wix, Fram, Baldwin, Luberfiner

51347.jpg

/ Oil filter for 4720ch
The OEM filter is roughly 4" in diameter and just under 4" long. I agree that stating that an oil filter has an oil cooling function sounds a little off the wall.

A little more research indicates that it may have to do with the bypass characteristics between the old and new OEM filters. Apparently the newer filter flows more oil in the bypass mode and may bypass at a higher pressure (that isn't confirmed by any reliable source). I would guess that probably makes no difference unless you don't change your filter in a ridiculously long time span. However, I do remember reading about an oilhead BMW motorcycle that a lot of owners would install a very common Fram filter, or its equivalent, that physically fit the bike just fine. The problem was that the bypass pressure in that particular filter type was set so low that even a new filter would bypass oil.

So changing filters due to a change of emission equipment might possibly have some merit if they had to change the oil pressure in the engine for some reason to support that Tier 4 pollution control equipment.

In any case, I won't fret it. I will buy the OEM filter if I get to the dealer before the oil change is due. If not, I will probably just use one of those you suggested, probably a NAPA 1344. It would be nice to know the real story though.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #7  
I don't pay any attention to bypass pressure ratings. Most filters are around 5-8 psi DIFFERENTIAL pressure, which like you say - - - never happens unless the filter has been on for a ridiculously long period of time.

I also don't care if some oil bypasses the element - I have Briggs and Stratton engines from the 70's (that have no oil filter) that have often exceeded 50 hour oil changes, and somehow they didn't explode in a pile of metal shavings.... In fact, I remember many times the oil was as black as India ink before it got changed. Still running to this day.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #8  
I think there is more to a filter than having thread pitch and size and the sealing surface match. Bypass, microns, filtration type, filtration surface area, etc. I think it could matter and probably does matter. Why not use an OEM filter or an equivalent? These engines are too expensive, and filters are too cheap to become your own filter engineer, that's my 2 cents.

Sometimes you can abuse the oil and use the wrong filter and get away with it for years...but I'd prefer to be more careful. I suppose if you used good oil and changed it regularly, the filter isn't filtering all that much. Many arguments could be made, but it seems like a poor place to save $5-$10.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #9  
Cougsfan, just so you know - - the smaller oil filter from Cummins for the "older" engines is a Fleetguard #LF16034, and the bypass spec is 12.5 psi. The filter would have to be plugged to reach that number. Crossed to a Napa 7334, I didn't see a bypass number.

The Napa 1347 bypass is at 8-11 PSI - again, the filter would almost have to be plugged.
Baldwin B199 oil filter is also rated at 8-10 psi.

/ Oil filter for 4720ch #10  
Hey All.

I did my 50 hour oil change on my 2016 Branson 3520H a few weekends ago and felt pretty sure my buddy at O'Reilly Auto Parts would be able to match up my filter.

I brought the stock filter down to him and left it with him. After a few hours of playing around with his caliper he called me back saying that he found a match... the threads and gasket dimensions were a perfect match and the canister was a bit longer than stock.

I put it on and it seems to be working just fine... I check the dipstick before each use and everything seems normal.

The WIX # is 51626.