Loader BL-20 FEL Float Position

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position #1  

JDEO

Tractor
Branson 3820
I was thinking about winter snow removal and am wondering if my BL-20 FEL has a float position. When I was on it last weekend pushing the stick forward it only proceeded to lift the front of the tractor. is there no float position or didn't I push it far enough. I think it was on a hard stop when forward.

thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position #2  
My 4520R has a float position all the way forward but it takes a pretty good push to get it engaged.

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position #3  
My 4520R has a float position all the way forward but it takes a pretty good push to get it engaged.

Same for me. It's a very firm detent. After some use it has loosened up a bit. This is with the fender mounted joystick that operated the valve by cable.

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position #4  
You have it, probably just stiff as stated above-lube on the linkages can help too.

Practice with the loader about 4' in the air to prevent doing wheelies :)

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position
Same for me. It's a very firm detent. After some use it has loosened up a bit. This is with the fender mounted joystick that operated the valve by cable.

I will try again tonight... FYI my FEL has the controller forward on the mount frame not the fender if that makes a difference.

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position #6  
You should be able to feel the detent without the tractor running.

You should be able to feel the detent without the tractor running.

So last night without the tractor running I had no detent when pushing forward but there was when pulling back. is this correct? or is the valve upside down? hydraulics plumbed backwards? I know as it currently is setup, forward is down pulling back is up; left and right for bucket curl.

also when pulling back I could feel the detent but it would always return past the detent not stay like I would expect it to.

Last edited:
   / BL-20 FEL Float Position #8  
Some valves have a spring loaded over travel rather than a hard stop. That may be what you are feeling.

The float detent should be there, but it may be quite firm. On mine I thought it wasn't there and asked the dealer about it. His advice was don't baby it, it's there. YMMV

/ BL-20 FEL Float Position #9  
How old is your tractor? Mine was quite hard to get into the float position when it was new but has softened up fairly quickly (or maybe I just learned to be more aggressive) It should stay in the float position by itself until you pull it back

So I finally found the valve manual on line. The valve is mounted 90 degree off but plumbed normally. The detent is actually to the right past the dump curl. Pulling back on the stick gives a rapid dump curl at the top of the raise.

Odd but it seemed to work correctly tonight.