Speakers in a 4720ch

/ Speakers in a 4720ch #1  

Kentuckyfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2200, BX23, Branson 4720HC
Winter time things slow down and I work on maintenance and fixing thing on the farm equipment. I listen to the radio sometime when I have hours of field work to do. Was thinking about putting some better speakers in because to me those that came with the tractor sound like a old AM radio. I don't know what's in there but tried the take them out today and couldn't figure how to remove them. There is four screws in the cover of them and I tried to remove them. They seem like they loosen up but don't actually come out. Tried to pry the cover off while the screws were loose but nothing moves. Didn't want to mess anything up until I was sure of what it takes to remove them. Anyone removed their speakers or replace them? Thanks for any help you can give me.

/ Speakers in a 4720ch #2  
I agree that the speakers are pretty poor. I installed my own stereo, but left the stock speakers. I actually tried to remove a speaker to get to the wires when doing it, but ran into the same problem you did. So I dropped the ceiling panel instead to get to the speaker wires and antenna cable. In the end, I chose to use over-the-ears bluetooth headsets as the cab noise is such that you have to turn the volume up to an uncomfortable level to hear well. (I am hard of hearing anyhow). I am pretty sure I would prefer the headsets over better quality speakers just because I would wear ear muffs anyhow. Dropping the ceiling panel isn't that big of a deal, and you can see what is holding things up. If you do drop the ceiling panel, be sure not to push hard on the mounting screws when you re-install it. If you do, the nut plate supports will bend and you have to re-drop the ceiling to straighten them.

/ Speakers in a 4720ch
I agree that the speakers are pretty poor. I installed my own stereo, but left the stock speakers. I actually tried to remove a speaker to get to the wires when doing it, but ran into the same problem you did. So I dropped the ceiling panel instead to get to the speaker wires and antenna cable. In the end, I chose to use over-the-ears bluetooth headsets as the cab noise is such that you have to turn the volume up to an uncomfortable level to hear well. (I am hard of hearing anyhow). I am pretty sure I would prefer the headsets over better quality speakers just because I would wear ear muffs anyhow. Dropping the ceiling panel isn't that big of a deal, and you can see what is holding things up. If you do drop the ceiling panel, be sure not to push hard on the mounting screws when you re-install it. If you do, the nut plate supports will bend and you have to re-drop the ceiling to straighten them.

Thanks for the information. I seen a post some time ago about that I think. Was trying to avoid dropping the ceiling to do something so simple. It shouldn't be this complicated just to pop a couple speaker in. You wouldn't happen to remember what or how they were held in there would you?

/ Speakers in a 4720ch #4  
Thanks for the information. I seen a post some time ago about that I think. Was trying to avoid dropping the ceiling to do something so simple. It shouldn't be this complicated just to pop a couple speaker in. You wouldn't happen to remember what or how they were held in there would you?

Unfortunately, I don't remember. I am not even sure I looked as i wasn't interested in removing them, I just wanted to get to the wires.

/ Speakers in a 4720ch #5  
Lift the roof off. Much much easier than taking ceiling down.

/ Speakers in a 4720ch
Any pictures of it with roof off? Anything to watch out for when removing like seals or weather stripping?

/ Speakers in a 4720ch #8  
6 bolts and comes right off, no weather stripping to have to worry about. Just lift off far enough to work on, don't have to lift it off all the way then you have to unhook some wires but still easy enough. Just get some blocks to prop it up is all.

/ Speakers in a 4720ch
6 bolts and comes right off, no weather stripping to have to worry about. Just lift off far enough to work on, don't have to lift it off all the way then you have to unhook some wires but still easy enough. Just get some blocks to prop it up is all.

Mr Bitz. I tried to take off the roof today and couldn't budge it. Then got to looking and think I was trying to remove the wrong piece than what you are referring to. I was trying to remove just the red top of the cab. Are you talking about removing the six bolts or nuts that are on the bottom of the top and picking up the red and black portion all together and not the six bolts on top and just removing just the red top?

/ Speakers in a 4720ch #10  
Yes pick up the black and red portion together.