Branson 4220 - strongly considering one.

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #11  
David,

I think we set a record! Moved you from thinking about a 25hp Nortrac to buying a 42hp Branson in 2 days. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's sure fun to spend other people's money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck, and let us know how you like it.

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one.
Hey, Bill.

I will tell you what I tell my employees. "I don't mind spending money. I DO mind wasting it."

I don't think I wasted my money. The reason I came here was to avoid a costly mistake by hearing what others more knowledgeable than myself had to say.

So, even though I spent about 5 grand more than I budgeted, I saved a bundle by not buying something that wouldn't work or would only barely work.

I appreciate the fact that I spent more in this case!

:)

David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #13  
Hi Dave,

Have you looked at the Long Agribusiness (FARMTRAC) tractors?

I test drove a Branson, and I really like the Farmtracs a whole lot more. Lots of features and more room.

My $.02

Yooper Dave

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #14  
C'mon Dave,

We're glad that you like your new tractor, but if you read Tornado's posts, you'll see that he has already made his decision and placed his order.

By the way, this is the Zetor/Century/Branson forum. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #15  
So Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif!

I'll be more observant in the future and do more reading before I chime in /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Yooper Dave

Hi everyone.

I received the new Branson 4220 with a BL20A FEL and a United HD672 box blade on Thursday of last week. I would have posted earlier, but life has a way of upsetting the best plans.

I am a tractor novice, but I know something about machines, and I like this machine.

I purchased a King Kutter 6' rough mower and a no-name post hole digger. It took a while to get the mower setup. It also took me a while to realize that I needed to reduce the dampening effect of the hydraulic return valve, else the mower tends to be either buried or in the air on rough ground...

This afternoon was the first time I have had time to work (read play) with my new machine(toy). Running up and down hills while trying to control the mower position, shove small stumps out of the way, use the shuttle shift a lot, and occasionally having to step on the differential lock made for a fairly steep learning curve :)

Regardless, I managed to de-stump and hog about 1/3 acre in a couple of hours. My wife was watching from a distance. I told her that I must have looked like an octopus doing ninety while riding the back of a turtle - she cracked up :)

I will get some pictures tomorrow, but I will have to warn that the tractor is already dirty and dusty - just like it should be.

Thanks again for all the help.
David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #17  
David,

Congratulations on your new tractor!

I test drove a Century and got to mow a little bit around the dealers lot. For that limited trial I found using a gear tractor easier than HST since you don't need to keep your foot on the pedal. It was the first geared tractor I ever drove and could not have been easier.

Since the terrain I drove on was flat I'm curious about your experience on the hills. Are you supposed to pick the gear you anticipate using before your ascent/descent or can you shift on the go?

Thanks,

John

Hi, John.

My policy with any type of transmission and hills is the same. I never change gears or speed unless my foot is firmly on the brake. I think doing anything with a transmission on a steep grade is an inviation to lose traction.

If I am in the wrong gear, then I wait to change it until I am on more solid footing.

There are a lot of people on this forum with a whole lot more experience than me that can probably answer your question better, but I hope that helped a little anyway :)

David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #19  
Since they are synco trans you can shift on the fly but I'd recommend picking the gear you want first (at least until you have some hours under your belt and you are use to shifting).

Have fun on that new tractor. I'm picking mine up this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #20  
David,

I am new as well...thanks for the great questions...I followed with deep interest as I am looking at the same package...However, the nearest dealer is 400 miles away in Iowa. Behold, I discover from following your string that Century is pretty much the same and a dealer is only 30 miles away.

Does anyone know if the Century also has the Cummins motor and what their similar package would be to the NB4220 with BL20 Loader?

If I am breaking with some etiquette by jumping on this string...I apologize as I am new...I will post separate as well...

thanks,

Patrick