Branson 4220 - strongly considering one.

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #1  

Tornado

Tractor
Branson 4220
Hi, folks.

Please forgive the newbie questions. I have been lurking for a while on the various forums while shopping for a tractor.

I liked the Century, but the nearest dealer is about 140 miles away. I understand that Branson and Century are essentially the same, so I found a Branson dealer 77 miles away. I have talked to them and got the following quote. Please tell me if I am close to the mark or off and why. Thanks very much for your consideration.

Branson 4220 with Series 2 (BL2010) loader and a United 6 foot box blade, delivered for 17,500.

I am considering adding a double spool remote at $625.

Oh, the 4220 has the 4 cylinder engine @ 42 HP - 39 PTO

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!
David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one.
Sorry, to answer myself.
I forgot to mention that R4 tires are included.

Thanks,
David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #3  
David,

That sounds like a pretty good price. I guess the 4220 has the new Kukje/Cummins engine. A dealer in another thread indicated that it would be about $1000 more than a comparable 4020, which this dealer in Oregon is offering for $16,850 with R4's & FEL but no box blade.

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #4  
Tornado
Thought you might want to know the 4220 is 42 gross hp, 40 net hp and 36 pto hp. I am assuming it is the same as the Zetor C42L. Good luck
Happy tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks, Chipperman.

That doesn't surprise me - typical sales speak. I am okay with the HP.

If the machine is not a good one, please speak up.

Thanks,
David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #6  
Tornado,

I don't know if you're up to speed on the Century/Branson/Kukje relationship. Here's my short version:

Both Century and Branson offer an identical line-up of Kukje manufactured tractors. Kukje's web site is somewhat dated, but it has some good information on it. They also manufacture (or did manufacture) a line for John Deere that is marketed outside the US.

The Century is distributed by American JAWA, which also sells the Zetor line. American JAWA is changing the name of the Century to "Zetor by Century", and probably eventually will drop the Century name, as indicated by Chipperman's post. By the way, Chipperman is a rep for American JAWA- see his profile - and very knowledgable about the product line.

Branson tractors are distributed by Branson Tractor Co. and the Kukje is their sole (or primary) line. It is rumored that Kukje has invested in Branson recently, perhaps to insure that their distribution network in the US is not solely American JAWA. They could eventually buy Branson??

Both distribution networks appear to be strong and the prospects look good for continued support and a growing dealer network. However, they will NOT do warranty work for each other.

The Century tractor uses the C-50 loader, and the Branson uses the BL-20, and I think they are fairly similar in specs. Chipperman and many Century owners seem to think the C-50 is better. However, see my thread about dump and rollback angles, where the BL-20 has the edge. It's probably a toss-up.

With either one, I think you will be getting a strong, full-featured tractor with the fit and finish and technology of the Big 3 (JD, Kubota, New Holland). What they don't have is a hydrostatic transmission, but if you don't need or want that - why pay 20% more?

Just my .02 worth. If I'm incorrect on any of the above, please feel free to correct me. I'm not buying yet, but when I do, I think it will be a Kukje. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Bill.

I appreciate the detailed breakdown. I think I will have to stick with the Branson, the nearest Century dealer is 77 miles away in another state and looks to be a mower shop. There are 5 Branson dealers in Alabama.

I wanted the C50 loader as well, but truth be known, I doubt I would ever notice the difference. Typically, I get to play with a tractor TLB, mostly yellow, infrequently. The last time was to dig a big hole to burn tree tops in. 11 feet deep by roughly 11 wide. I hate to admit it, but it took me almost three hours. While I will eventually get somewhat proficient with the loader, I doubt I would notice anything other than serious deficiencies :) I can get by on a backhoe, but just.

I like gears, so I don't think I will miss the hydrostatic. Besides, the reverser will take care of the real irritant. The last 4WD truck I bought couldn't be had with a decent size engine and gears. Looks like my next purchase truck wise will be a Dodge, even though I hear they are still having drive train problems. Personally, I have always felt like I had more control over a vehicle with gears. Maybe it is just my imagination...

One last question for everyone. Will I need the remote eventually? I would like to have it, but only if I can justify it.

Thanks for the original suggestion to check out the Century, Bill. That put me on a good track.

David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #8  
Sooner or later you will find a need for remote hydraulics. So why not get them now?

I just bit the bullet and placed my order. I should have it the first of next week.

I will take pictures!

Thanks to everyone for your help and input.
David

/ Branson 4220 - strongly considering one. #10  
I would ditto the comment on rear remotes. If one plans to add equipment in the future...there will be a likely need for remotes. I have a hydraulic front blade which I operate by using my bucket curl hoses....but I'd rather have additional remotes. If you are thinking about top and tilt in the future, also would need the remotes. I don't have the remotes now, but plan to sometime in the future.

pete