Branson 3520R question

/ Branson 3520R question #1  

glenster69

Tractor
Branson 3520R
I own a 3520 with 200 hours on it. Last weekend I did some mowing and parked the tractor for a couple of days and forgot to clean the front off. I got back in the tractor and started to move some dirt, looked down 10-15 minutes later and thermostat was pegged on hot. I drove tractor to my shop and cleaned the front off and opened the radiator up of course losing some antifreeze there so I replaced it and let it all cool down. I cranked the tractor and let it run for a few minutes and killed it. When I did this the hazard lights came on and the tractor will not start again. It acts like it has power but will not turn over. It sort of clicks so could this be a starter issue or something worse? Is there another way to start it? It is under warranty but having issue with getting dealer to call me back at this time. Any thoughts?

/ Branson 3520R question #2  
Often when the starter clicks but the engine won't turn over it's because the battery is low. If you have a volt meter check the battery. It should be 12.6v, plus or minus a bit. 12 or lower isn't good.

I'd check that the fan/alternator belt is still there and is tight. A missing or very loose belt could cause the fan to not turn much and the alternator to not charge, leading to overheating and low battery. My manual says .4-.6 inches of play.

/ Branson 3520R question #3  
You also may want to check the battery cables to be sure they are not corroded at the connections. W Jones

/ Branson 3520R question
Hey guys thanks for your responses but each of those things check out ok, any other ideas?

/ Branson 3520R question #5  
Does the crank shaft move at all when you try to start it? I'd verify that the crank can move. I'm not sure how easy it is to get an engine that size to turn over by hand. On my B7100 I could do it with a wrench on the crank pulley bolt, but it was half the displacement as your 3520.

Dunno why the hazards would come on. Bransons don't have as many computers as other tractors- the fuel injection is mechanical. Unless you mean that the dashboard warning lights came on?

/ Branson 3520R question
I recently had issue with the DPF as I was not originally told to run at higher RPM but I fixed that myself but yes Eric the hazard lights physically came on and that has never happened to me before. It will try to crank and the DPF light will light back up so I dunno still have had not return calls from dealer. Will try again next week I guess. Have not been able to turn the crank.

/ Branson 3520R question #7  
What was your DPF issue?

If the DPF is clogged there's an emergency bypass bolt on the exhaust manifold. It's small but it's there to let enough exhaust out so the engine will run enough to get the tractor out of the way or on the trailer.

/ Branson 3520R question
The DPF had gotten clogged so I took it off and blew it out before putting it back on which fixed it. From that, I learned that you have to run these tractors at higher rpms to alleviate that particular issue. I bought the whole package deal from Branson with the trailer and when I picked it up they had it all loaded on trailer and through me to the wolves as this is my first tractor. I have learned a lot from this purchase and have at times been very disappointed that they weren't more forthcoming with this type of information and other issues. If I don't get a return call next week from them, I will just have to blow my fuse again.

/ Branson 3520R question #9  
I own a 3520 with 200 hours on it. Last weekend I did some mowing and parked the tractor for a couple of days and forgot to clean the front off. I got back in the tractor and started to move some dirt, looked down 10-15 minutes later and thermostat was pegged on hot. I drove tractor to my shop and cleaned the front off and opened the radiator up of course losing some antifreeze there so I replaced it and let it all cool down. I cranked the tractor and let it run for a few minutes and killed it. When I did this the hazard lights came on and the tractor will not start again. It acts like it has power but will not turn over. It sort of clicks so could this be a starter issue or something worse? Is there another way to start it? It is under warranty but having issue with getting dealer to call me back at this time. Any thoughts?

All of a sudden problem after what you said...don't expect a favorable warranty claim, problem your doing (no fault of the tractor). On removing the radiator cap with it hot, hopefully you didn't get blasted with scalding hot cooling fluid. Where did the spray go?????? Where is your relay/fuse box? Any get in it? Any safety sensors (that prohibit starting) get soaked? Did you forget and leave the PTO on?

/ Branson 3520R question
I was not expecting a favorable warranty claim there Mark, fuse box in back not sure about safety sensors and no didn't leave the pto on. Just weird how the hazard lights came on and now it won't start. Apparently no other person has had this happen so I will just have to bite the bullet and drop it off at the dealer. It is what it is