Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I

/ Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I #1  

search4one

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar F395D Branson 4720I
I need to replace a bearing on the brake shaft and will have to remove the rear axle housing to access it. Anyone with any experience doing this? Curious if the axle will come out with the housing as a unit or if I need to remove the axle before removing the housing. I know it will make it lighter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Randy Baker
Red Bluff, CA

/ Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I #2  
Hey Randy.

I'm assuming you bought your tractor at Dave's in Red Bluff.

Even if that's not the case, why not call or stop up there to ask the guys in service?

It's just minutes from where you live.

/ Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I
Hey Randy.

I'm assuming you bought your tractor at Dave's in Red Bluff.

Even if that's not the case, why not call or stop up there to ask the guys in service?

It's just minutes from where you live.

Branson Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

No I did not buy it from Dave's Tractor and I thought about doing that. Been talking with the parts guy and have been quoted a price on the bearing I need to replace. Just wasn't sure how they would react to that but maybe they wouldn't mind giving me some advice since I will at least be purchasing the parts there.

Just moved to the area from the bay area. Guess I am used to the reaction I would get from one of the places in the big city. :)

Thanks again BB

/ Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I #4  
Dave's a good guy and his dealership has good folks. I'm sure they'd help with parts and advice (and service if you want).

Dave's a good guy and his dealership has good folks. I'm sure they'd help with parts and advice (and service if you want).

ericm979,

Yes, I spoke with Dave some time ago about my Yanmar F395D which I guess is considered a freak of nature :) here in the states and he was very helpful and as you said, a super nice guy. They have offered to do the work for me but being retired and on a fixed income, I can't pay the $95.00 per hour. BTW, that is very reasonable compared to shops in the bay area where I came from but I still can't afford it.

Randy Baker
Red Bluff, CA

/ Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I #6  
ericm979,

Yes, I spoke with Dave some time ago about my Yanmar F395D which I guess is considered a freak of nature :) here in the states and he was very helpful and as you said, a super nice guy. They have offered to do the work for me but being retired and on a fixed income, I can't pay the $95.00 per hour. BTW, that is very reasonable compared to shops in the bay area where I came from but I still can't afford it.

Randy Baker
Red Bluff, CA

True about Dave's having reasonable labor rates. For comparison Garton Tractors (an excellent and established business) in Merced charges $110/hour.

Removed the rear axle housing, replaced the bad bearing and reinstalled the axle housing. Waiting for a brake disc from the dealer, one was bad. BRA#3.jpgBRA#2.jpgBRA#1.jpg

/ Removal of rear axle housing on a 2006 Branson 4720I #8  
That doesn't look like fun. How hard was the job?

That doesn't look like fun. How hard was the job?

Hardest part was the removal and replacement of the axle housing. It was heavy but I had a friend help me. Replacing the bearing was easy.