Buying Advice 3520h at 6800 ft altitude

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #1  

cottwood

Tractor
Branson 3520H
Hi everyone,
Will the 3520h give me problems with the dpf because of the altitude. Have 7 acres and want to mow 3-4 acres and remove scrub oak with a grapple and chainsaw. 800ft driveway to plow. I have been looking at this tractor and the 2538 mahindra hst. The Branson seems better built. Any input would be appreciated??

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #2  
Talk to a local dealer "at your alltitude".

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #3  
I don't see why the DPF would be affected by altitude. It's supposed to burn clean during normal operation, and in the (presumably) unlikely situation that it doesn't, there are remedies. Besides, the Mahindra

I think the better question may be "is 35hp, adjusted for altitude (ie, about 28hp), sufficient for my work?".

The Mahindra is also normally aspirated, so it's going to lose hp at altitude as well (down to about 30hp). It won't gain any weight, though.

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #4  
Hi everyone,
Will the 3520h give me problems with the dpf because of the altitude. Have 7 acres and want to mow 3-4 acres and remove scrub oak with a grapple and chainsaw. 800ft driveway to plow. I have been looking at this tractor and the 2538 mahindra hst. The Branson seems better built. Any input would be appreciated??

I hear that you need turbos to handle higher altitudes with thinner air. Turbos cram more air per stroke so thinner air has less of an effect. Can't advise on DPF but truckers with new rigs haul all over the Americas. Also the remark about ask a local dealer nailed it! Don't know if your 3520 is turbo or not. I know my 2400 with the Branson licensed 1.1L engine is turbo charged for the 2800 model which is 28 rather than 24 hp (at sea level????).

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #5  
Unless I am mistaken, the only current turbocharged hydrostatic transmission Branson XX20 series tractor is the 5020H. The 4020R (12 speed shuttle shift gear drive) is also turbocharged, but there is no hydrostat version listed. Could be an error on the website. One of the Branson dealers here can surely enlighten us there.

There is a hydrostat version of the 4015 (4015H), so you have a turbocharged hydrostatic option there if you're willing to go down a bit in weight/etc to the XX15 series.

The 3520H and 4720H (hydro version of the 4520R) are both naturally aspirated.

Branson Tractors - 522H

Branson Tractors - 415H

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #6  
I've HEARD that the turbo model tractors are better at higher altitudes. The only difference between the 3520R and 4020R IS the turbo, other than that, same tractor. I have the 4020R with shuttle shift, hydrostat shift I don't know if available or not. I didn't want a hydrostat shift because of the HP loss so didn't even look for that option. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of short run back and forth bucket work I see no advantage to a hydrostat.

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #7  
I've HEARD that the turbo model tractors are better at higher altitudes. The only difference between the 3520R and 4020R IS the turbo, other than that, same tractor. I have the 4020R with shuttle shift, hydrostat shift I don't know if available or not. I didn't want a hydrostat shift because of the HP loss so didn't even look for that option. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of short run back and forth bucket work I see no advantage to a hydrostat.

I agree (I would also choose a shuttle shift over a hydrostat), but based on the two tractors that he mentioned in his first post (3520H and Mahindra 2538), it looks like Cottonwood is shopping for a hydrostat tractor.

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #8  
What's the difference between the non-turbo engine in the 3520 and the turbo 4020? ie, what would it take to turbocharge the 35? (after the warranty is up, of course - someday I may yet move to higher altitude and get away from the summer heat!)

Unless I am mistaken, the only current turbocharged hydrostatic transmission Branson XX20 series tractor is the 5020H. The 4020R (12 speed shuttle shift gear drive) is also turbocharged, but there is no hydrostat version listed. Could be an error on the website. One of the Branson dealers here can surely enlighten us there.

There is a hydrostat version of the 4015 (4015H), so you have a turbocharged hydrostatic option there if you're willing to go down a bit in weight/etc to the XX15 series.

The 3520H and 4720H (hydro version of the 4520R) are both naturally aspirated.

Branson Tractors - 522H

Branson Tractors - 415H

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude #9  
What's the difference between the non-turbo engine in the 3520 and the turbo 4020? ie, what would it take to turbocharge the 35? (after the warranty is up, of course - someday I may yet move to higher altitude and get away from the summer heat!)

I'd have to go over the parts lists to properly answer that question. Fuel pump settings for sure. Possibly different pistons (probably not, as I imagine they're not running a lot of boost for the 5 HP gain over the NA engine). Manifolds and intake/exhaust plumbing for sure.

/ 3520h at 6800 ft altitude
I agree (I would also choose a shuttle shift over a hydrostat), but based on the two tractors that he mentioned in his first post (3520H and Mahindra 2538), it looks like Cottonwood is shopping for a hydrostat tractor.

Yes, I am leaning more toward a hydro. We had a house built an am wanting to move quite a bit of dirt for drainage and landscaping.
With the shuttle shift do you still need to clutch every time you change direction correct?

Does anyone know if either company is better in regards to standing behind their product?

Thanks

Last edited: