test drove my first branson today

/ test drove my first branson today #11  
Kentucky,

Looks like you put the switches up where they normally sit on the 25 series. I like the location up there, except I have to mind that I don't press the hazard light button while moving around and working the FEL. Lol. I do wish my 3 pt lever was higher like you modded yours. That was a good idea and looks handy. Do you think you might snag it if wearing a big jacket or something?

Deer,

Just curious as to what about the LS HST you liked better than the Branson? Only thing I can think to say on the Branson HST is sometimes it doesn't want to go into or change gear ranges, and by just nudging the reverse pedal, it usually drops right in.

The buttons are located in the knock out section of that plastic piece and as close to the hydro controls as I could get it. My arm doesn't hit them at all when using the loader. As far as having a coat get tangled with the three point control 99 percent of the time I have a coat on I wouldn't be using the three point only the loader so that would be in the up position and would be by the back of the seat. It stays nice and toasty in the cab during the winter. No need for a coat at all if spending any amount of time in there. Summer time ac is a must in the cab. Unless you have back window open and doors open, and if doing any kind of field work the dust and bugs is the reason I have the cab. I spent lots of years on open tractors and eat bales of dust and pounds of bugs. My old age is all about comfort in anyway I can find it. These old bones and muscles can't take what they use to.

/ test drove my first branson today #12  
I have a 4720h and I love it.I only compared it to deere and mahindra. Much cheaper than both and fit and finish was equal. The branson was almost as heavy as the mahindra and I was looking for weight I added 1000# to the rear wheels with weights and that thing goes any where.The thing has such a short turning radius it will turn on itself.I also love the cruise control with a big lawn it is hard to stay awake. Lucky I have a cold one in the drink holder.I do not think I will have a problem with the dpf I remedied it with help on this forum.I now can run it at a reasonable rpm burning much less fuel.The only thing I do not like is a rather whiney hst but wear headphones.I have 70 hrs on it and the 50 hr. service was done in about 40 min.

Dan

/ test drove my first branson today #13  
I have a 4720h and I love it.I only compared it to deere and mahindra. Much cheaper than both and fit and finish was equal. The branson was almost as heavy as the mahindra and I was looking for weight I added 1000# to the rear wheels with weights and that thing goes any where.The thing has such a short turning radius it will turn on itself.I also love the cruise control with a big lawn it is hard to stay awake. Lucky I have a cold one in the drink holder.I do not think I will have a problem with the dpf I remedied it with help on this forum.I now can run it at a reasonable rpm burning much less fuel.The only thing I do not like is a rather whiney hst but wear headphones.I have 70 hrs on it and the 50 hr. service was done in about 40 min.

Dan

No dpf and no computer to worry about is worth at least $4000 to me. I know what you mean about falling asleep. Also I have close to 500 hrs and either the hydro wine is lots less when new or my hearing is worse.

/ test drove my first branson today
Deer,

Just curious as to what about the LS HST you liked better than the Branson? Only thing I can think to say on the Branson HST is sometimes it doesn't want to go into or change gear ranges, and by just nudging the reverse pedal, it usually drops right in.

i noticed the same on the branson hydrostat not wanting to change ranges.

what i liked about the LS hydrostat was the transition between fwd and rev also the transition of full on forward and slowing down to letting off

the branson was real jerky granted it could of been just that one

/ test drove my first branson today #15  
I hear you on the comfort there Kentucky. I was insistent that whatever tractor I ended up with would definitely have a cab, with heat and (preferably) A/C. I finally mowed my road ditches last weekend, and it was dust bowl dry out. It was so nice to sit in the air conditioned cab, with the radio on, cruise control on, and watching the dust cloud swirl around me without getting inside the cab, or in my lungs.

/ test drove my first branson today #16  
i noticed the same on the branson hydrostat not wanting to change ranges.

what i liked about the LS hydrostat was the transition between fwd and rev also the transition of full on forward and slowing down to letting off

the branson was real jerky granted it could of been just that one

I have had to learn to slowly raise my foot off of one direction pedal before slowly pressing down the other one. It will stop so short you'll think it's standing on the FEL if you don't. I guess the "plus side", if there is one, is that if you do have to stop fast for whatever reason, you can do so without touching the brake pedal. Same thing goes for dropping out of cruise control, you have to put your foot all the way back into the forward pedal before you shut off the cruise control, or you can expect to be lurched pretty hard (and potentially spilling your cold beverage).

/ test drove my first branson today #17  
I have had to learn to slowly raise my foot off of one direction pedal before slowly pressing down the other one. It will stop so short you'll think it's standing on the FEL if you don't. I guess the "plus side", if there is one, is that if you do have to stop fast for whatever reason, you can do so without touching the brake pedal. Same thing goes for dropping out of cruise control, you have to put your foot all the way back into the forward pedal before you shut off the cruise control, or you can expect to be lurched pretty hard (and potentially spilling your cold beverage).

My Kubota is the same way. Take your foot off and you stop real quick. Although it doesn't have cruise. So it wasn't a learning process for me with the Branson. It does still stop really quick but with use and hours on the clock it isn't as jerky as when new. It also slips into gear lots easier with hours of use. Not trying to sell anyone on having a HST I think it's the best of all a person can get when buying a tractor either with a straight geared trans, shuttle shift or what ever is out there. With the ability to pick any speed in doing what needs to be done it either not to fast nor to slow and you can speed up or slow down just a tad very easy. Old school was 4 or 5 speeds and one reverse. Either ride the clutch a little or hope for the best is what I started on years ago. That being said the newer tractor have lots of speeds forward and in reverse so a newer shuttle shift with lots of gears forward and in reverse its probably pretty close to an HST in being able to pick a speed. The only shuttle shift I drove was a 310 JD backhoe and I really didn't like having to use my hand to operate it and foot to operate the fuel pedal and right hand the loader control. Then in between steer with the left hand. Lots of things going on when back filling ditches in close quarters. Had a JD highlift that had a direction reverser but that was a whole different ballgame and liked it better than the hoe. I like the HST because set the rpm's and go forward or reverse as fast or as slow as you want just by pushing a pedal. Simple

/ test drove my first branson today #18  
I do wish I got a cab. Don't really NEED it because SoCal is pretty mild, but somedays I feel it would be very nice.

/ test drove my first branson today #19  
If your working row crops or just hay fields and bush hogging open areas cabs are really nice. Open tractors have there places just as cabs do and it is really up to each what they prefer or money dictates. In my old age I became a wimp. I wish I had AC while I mow with the Kubota. I do however stop lots for refreshments and maybe a nap to if no one is looking.

/ test drove my first branson today #20  
OP,
What was it about the DK4510 you did not like? I checked one out a few weeks ago and it was a nice unit. I still have yet to try out a Branson. Bruce