What's up with the smoke?

/ What's up with the smoke? #1  

cscollin

Tractor
2017 Branson 3725H
I bought the Branson 3725H with the 4 cyl 37hp A2000N3-UTR4 diesel a few months ago. I've used it for several things but I only worked it really hard twice. Last month I cut a few acres with my flail mower then it sat for a few days. When I went to start it the next time it started right away like normal but after a few seconds it started to exhaust heavy white smoke for about a minute or 2 and then cleared up. Last week I cut with the mower again. I started it 2 days later and it smoked again but not as long, only about a minute. Has anyone had a similar problem on your 3725 or other model?

/ What's up with the smoke? #2  
Mine's never done that. My mowing is probably not stressful as it's a 5' mower and the grass isn't thick but I've worked it hard with the wood chipper- I chip anything that'll fit its 8" throat. I wait for the "glow plug" light to go out before I turn the key to start unless I know the engine is well warmed up. Are you operating with the rpms in the green band on the tach?

/ What's up with the smoke?
I have a 5' mower also but it works a little hard. the grass can be anywhere from 2'-5'. I wait for the glow plug light to go out also. Yes, I run the rpm's in the green band. RPM's are the key with these mowers to shred up the material.

/ What's up with the smoke? #4  
White smoke sounds like moisture. Is there any way some water could have gotten in the muffler or exhaust system due to wind and rain?

/ What's up with the smoke?
No it hasn't been in the rain yet and its stored inside. It did it again this morning when I started it. It hasn't been run since 2 days ago and it wasn't worked hard that day, I just moved some things around.

/ What's up with the smoke? #6  
white smoke usually indicates a fuel issue. change your filters

/ What's up with the smoke? #7  
The 25 series has a drain in the fuel filter. The little round nub that sticks out of the knob is a drain. You can attach a hose to it, unscrew the knob a ways and it'll drain from the bottom of the bowl out the hose.

There's also a red plastic ring in the clear bowl which is supposed to indicate water level. It's about half the diameter of the bowl.

/ What's up with the smoke? #8  
Have you checked the coolant level? You could have a leaking head gasket.

/ What's up with the smoke? #9  
I bought the Branson 3725H with the 4 cyl 37hp A2000N3-UTR4 diesel a few months ago. I've used it for several things but I only worked it really hard twice. Last month I cut a few acres with my flail mower then it sat for a few days. When I went to start it the next time it started right away like normal but after a few seconds it started to exhaust heavy white smoke for about a minute or 2 and then cleared up. Last week I cut with the mower again. I started it 2 days later and it smoked again but not as long, only about a minute. Has anyone had a similar problem on your 3725 or other model?

Eric may have hit on it. In the Branson operator's manual it states clearly that the glow plugs are to prevent that occurrence.... besides being a cold temperature starting aid.

/ What's up with the smoke? #10  
I have not seen this happen with mine either. Most of the time, I'm not working it very hard, but I do mow 1 steep incline that works it pretty hard. What does your fuel look like in your fuel/water separator?