Traction 6225c front drivetrain

/ 6225c front drivetrain #1  

Lagwagon

Tractor
Branson 6225C
Impressed with this tractor to date especially the FEL and hydraulic strength but i fear this has caused me to damage the front diff.
After 10hrs of play i was getting exited at the power of the little beast so i decided to really test her and dig out/push over a fruit tree that i thought was dead.
Turns out the root mass was a lot bigger than i expected so ive had to really work the ground to get it to budge.
Ive used too much up-pressure on the bucket as it was under the root-ball whilst pushing forward then to make things worse ive turned the wheel to try to get a bit more movement and 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrrrr' something has given. Hard to describe the sound but it was like a whirring noise.
Anyway immediately stopped all throttle and movement and went 'oh s*!t'
With machine in same position placed back in gear and no drive to the front wheels at all.
Straightened wheels and pressure off bucket and drive back to wheels.
Tested it around some sharp corners, boggy sand etc and no real issues, drive is there but once again under similar front stress, angle, etc... the drive is lost at the front wheels, minus the abrupt grinding/whirring sound.

Just done the 50hr service and pulled off the front right hub to inspect as when the event occurred i thought the sound came from the right side.
No apparent damage to the bevel gears or the vertical bevel shaft, and interesting that the shaft isnt held by a circlip, it just sits in the case and can be pulled out with 2 fingers.
What i did find though was some fine metal fragments but nothing unexpected from a diff but did find some small linier shards which im concerned about.
IMG_1422.JPG
My next move would be to work back along the drivetrain to see if i can see any damage.

Has anyone else experienced this in their machines?
My service manual recommends 80w90 gear oil but the oil i drained from the diff was 75w140.

I'll put my hand up and say it was reckless operating on my behalf and im still kicking myself for being so careless.

/ 6225c front drivetrain #2  
There's a mechanical safety of sorts in the front driveshaft- the coupling is through small balls.
Hopefully that's all that's wrong and you can put them back in place.

Here's a screen shot of the f36R (not a US model designation) shop manual:

Screenshot from 2017-08-05 07:15:50.png

The balls are #11

/ 6225c front drivetrain
There's a mechanical safety of sorts in the front driveshaft- the coupling is through small balls.
Hopefully that's all that's wrong and you can put them back in place.

Here's a screen shot of the f36R (not a US model designation) shop manual:

View attachment 517539

The balls are #11

My first thought was that i'd stripped some teeth as i could hear what sounded like ball bearings rattling around somewhere but too hard to locate with the engine sound. Maybe its the balls you mention.
Thanks for the info.

/ 6225c front drivetrain #4  
On the oil, having abused my 6530 and having torn up the main wheel support bearings on both sides, in getting the parts the Plainview Branson Distribution/warehouse/dealer/repair facility, where I bought my repair parts, what have you guy by the name of Buster ([Jenkins Automotive (806-293-0337)]told me when I refill my forward sump, don't use the same fluid as was recommended back in 2007 for it and the main sump. Use 85W-140 gear oil.

So I did. My 2016 2400 came with 80w-90 and when I replace it it will be with 85W-140. I see no reason why you can't/don't run as heavy a gear oil as is available since this IS a gear train and gear oil is made for gear trains. Since the rest of the tractor is fed from a main sump, you have to rely on the additives to light oil to protect things. Course the gears are much stouter since they are made to drive the tractor and the 4wd is an auxillary driving source, not made to do the work of the whole machine.

/ 6225c front drivetrain
Dismantled axle, no balls to be seen. Just a single shaft, couple ring at each end which look to be dowled, or whatever is #21 in pic. There's a bearing in a supporting mount halfway. That's it. By the looks of the pic the balls are towards the transmission. This end of the shaft is splined into the gearbox, or could be the transfer case. If the balls are in there I'm going to have to drill out the small dowled pin and pull the shaft apart.

/ 6225c front drivetrain #6  
I am wondering if other tractors have any kind of safety protection from over powering the front axel. With the loader dug in and lifting, there is a lot of traction on the front wheels. I usually push in lowest gear for good control while digging but I get worried every time I get a good bite and realize all the torque being applied to the front gear train. I also own a Yanmar LX490 and I cant seem to get my two sons to deal with the potential overload. If I instruct them to operate in a higher gear so as to reduce the potential torque to the drive train , they next will be burning the clutch out.

Good luck with the diagnosis. Not meaning to hijack thread, but have often wondered why this subject has not come up more often.

/ 6225c front drivetrain #7  
I am wondering if other tractors have any kind of safety protection from over powering the front axel. With the loader dug in and lifting, there is a lot of traction on the front wheels. I usually push in lowest gear for good control while digging but I get worried every time I get a good bite and realize all the torque being applied to the front gear train. I also own a Yanmar LX490 and I cant seem to get my two sons to deal with the potential overload. If I instruct them to operate in a higher gear so as to reduce the potential torque to the drive train , they next will be burning the clutch out.

Good luck with the diagnosis. Not meaning to hijack thread, but have often wondered why this subject has not come up more often.

Some broken front axle gripes floating around this site. Forget where but the point is the front drive system is designed as a supplement to the main drive, not the main drive itself. Therefore if one suffers damage, one needs to look in the mirror....I did and ate crow (and coughed up about 600 bucks and a couple days labor) as a result. Grin