Buying Advice 3520R Reliability/Problems

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems #1  

Terrapro88

Tractor
1988 Yamaha Terrapro
Hi All!

I am looking at a 2013 Branson 3520R. It has under 50 hours on it and appears to be in very good condition. It would see light use, bush hogging, light loader work hauling dirt for flower and garden beds etc. on my 5 acres and some of my neighbors property on occasion.

My question is, are there any real trouble areas with this model? It only has maybe an average reliability score here on tractorbynet. However, I know that sometimes you mainly get the people that are upset that post the most reviews.

I don't really have any tractor dealers, minus a Kubota dealer about 35min away, that are within an hour to an hour and a half from me. So, I likely will have to haul any tractor a fair ways to get it serviced. I don't have a truck big enough to pull a tractor this size, so I obviously don't want to be hauling it to get it fixed more than one could reasonably expect.

So, has anyone had any experience with this model or the 20 series in general?

Thanks for the help!

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems #2  
They are no better and no worse then any of the others, I own one a 8050 it's closing in on 400 hours.It has had it's problems between myself and the dealer its been taken care of.
If it hasn't had oil and hydraulic filters and fluids changed in four years it will definitely need them, short and infrequent uses are hard on fluids.
My major complaint with Branson is the "Factory" Branson USA will not respond to emails, their customer service is non-existent, my dealer is good.
If the area reps and Branson would be more open and conversant I would be more open to recommending the Branson line, also service manuals
are unavailable an IH, Case, Ford, New Holland may be expensive but they are available, Bransons must be top secret.
If you have no dealers for service i would hope that you can repair anything that comes up.
Good luck and enjoy

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems
Thank you for the reply LouNY! I have 2 dealers about 1.5hrs from me. For some reason, I just don't have that many tractor dealers near me. Which I find odd, since I am in a fairly rural area in Alabama. I did have a Branson dealer 5 min from my house when I moved here 6 years ago. I think he was a tractor mechanic and must have just ordered if someone wanted one. He has since retired I believe.

I just don't want to get it and then end up having major problems with the clutch, engine or hydraulics etc. that could cost thousands more to fix on a very low hours machine. Especially, if it is a specific problem that is a know issue.

Thanks Again!

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems #4  
50 hours is a major service on Bransons- engine oil & filter, hydraulic oil & filter, front axle oil, air filter. It's not difficult if you're used to oil changes. I have equipment to work on motorcycles, cars and light trucks. I needed my largest filter wrenches and a big drain pan. I ordered the trans fluid from Amazon, got Branson filters shipped to me by my dealer who is 3.5 hours away.

A few people have had problems with front hub seals leaking but the hubs appear to be fairly easy to remove and take to a dealer for the seal replacement. I think there is a recent part update on the seal. There's one guy on youtube who had overheating problems on a new Branson but he wasn't cleaning the radiator out frequently or well enough. When it gets dirty I remove the screen and blow it and the radiators out with an air gun, and blow off the air filter element. If I'm chipping dead stuff (makes a lot of dust) and the wind's blowing the wrong way I may need to clean the radiator after a couple hours.

The engine's a Cummins A series made by Kukje. The one in my tractor appears to be detuned or derated from the equivalent Cummins industrial engine. If that's true it'll be understressed. Some people have used Cummins parts to repair their Branson engines. The fuel injection pump is the common Bosch VE.

Your local retired Branson mechanic might be a good source of information on the local dealers.

Thank You ericm979!

I saw the guy on Youtube with the overheating. There is also a guy that says the engine blew with only 5 hours on it. In cases like that, are those just random outliers, due to user error, a mess up in the assembly process etc. or are these common problems. I have to suspect that they are not common issues. To your point about the hub seals, I think I have seen that mentioned several times. Also, it seems to me that I have seen clutch problems mentioned some with Branson tractors in general. Items like the clutch are what I am most worried about as that is a big ticket item...

Now to worry about parts coming out of South Korea during a war...

I see you list your tractor as a 3725H. I would really like to have the 25 series, but to much $$$ for me at the moment. Especially, considering I only have 5 acres to maintain.

Do the 2013 models have the DPF filter or did that not start until a couple years later?

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems #7  
I have a 2016 3520R that I am very happy with. I have used it to bush hog and disc over 12 acres with no problem. It pulls the 6 foot bush hog and the 20 blade disc without any problem. I also have a Woods BH7500 backhoe I have used to dig up stumps and digging a trench for a water line with no problem.
I changed the fluids and filters at 50 hours as required, it was much like performing an oil change on my truck, very easy!
It now has over 72 hours on it with no issues. I'm not sure when Branson started using the DPF filter, I haven't had any problems with it at all. Don't let it sit and idle for long periods of time and keep the RPMs up around 2000 and you shouldn't have any issues.
The 3520R is a real work horse!!
20161112_142359_resized.jpg

Last edited:
   / 3520R Reliability/Problems #8  
I have a 2017 Branson F36Rn, which is the EU version of the 3515R apart from not having the DPF and does have a mid mounted ROPS. It has now 28 hours, mostly of mowing some heavy brush with a 52" mower. So far I'm really happy with it. It runs really fresh and smooth. After 28 hours, the engine oil still looks clear as new.
I have a video of it mowing some light brush. It was actually it's first job. Running a bit slow as I was trying the tractor for the first time. Also I usually go backwards through higher brush.
I will make a skid plate and some sort of bumper for it.

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems #9  
Dpf started in 2014 and up went the price with it thank you EPA for deciding how to spend our money.

/ 3520R Reliability/Problems #10  
I've had a 4720 for two years now and really like the little tractor. The only problems I have had is fan shroud, dpf stopped up and the front wheel seals have a very small oil leak which I will take care of if it gets any worse. The fan shroud was because of fan being to large and chewing on the shroud but was taken care of under warranty with the help of Mr Bitz and Big Reds the dealer I purchased it from. These tractors don't rely on any type of computer and are simple to work on. I myself think most of the problems people have with these compact tractors is people think their capable of more than their made for. It's not a bulldozer. Might get away with using it for one for a while but sooner or later it will catch up with you. As far as the over heating problem and blown engine with the guy on YouTube he was bushhoging in some kind of enclosed structure and it was extreme dusty conditions (watch the video and you won't believe it) and over heated it. It's like any other tractor or machine with a radiator it gets stopped up with dirt and dust and you will have to clean it. I think they are no worse or any better that any other brand out there. What they are better at is the price. Mine was over 10 thousand cheaper then the orange or green ones that are no more than a mile from me. Take care of it and it will take care of you. My only regrets is I wish I bought the biggest one made by Branson and had a self leveling loader.