BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease #1  

Branson Bob

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Branson 3520H
Hey fellas.

I try to be pretty good about greasing my tractor and attachments.

Recently, even before the weather started getting cold I found that the 2 main pivot zerks on the backhoe (BH76) wouldn't take grease. I poked around on Youtube and based on some videos I tried heating the areas with a torch. That made no difference. I also unscrewed the zerks and let them soak overnight in a solvent to unclog them. I got the fittings cleared but the areas they serve still won't take grease.

Anyone have the same problem and a good solution?

Thanks.

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease #2  
Try to reposition the unit, some times depending on how some thing sets will seal off the path for the grease to get into the shaft/bearing, especially if there is tension on the area where the grease goes in,

I have a lift on a disk and to get grease in it one needs to set the disk on the ground and raise the wheels if pressure is on the wheels you can not grease this zerk,

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease
That makes perfect sense BHD.

I'll give this a try and let everyone know how it works out. I have a feeling that it'll work.

Thanks very much.

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease #5  
Try to reposition the unit, some times depending on how some thing sets will seal off the path for the grease to get into the shaft/bearing, especially if there is tension on the area where the grease goes in,

I have a lift on a disk and to get grease in it one needs to set the disk on the ground and raise the wheels if pressure is on the wheels you can not grease this zerk,

Exactly. Sometimes I have to lift the rear end of the tractor off the ground to get grease in the stabilizer and boom fittings. I do it on the loader also by raising the front wheels a little off the ground.

When a fitting itself is clogged, I just toss it and put a new fitting in. Sometimes they are hit by chunks of wood and are defaced.
hugs, Brandi

Exactly. Sometimes I have to lift the rear end of the tractor off the ground to get grease in the stabilizer and boom fittings. I do it on the loader also by raising the front wheels a little off the ground.

When a fitting itself is clogged, I just toss it and put a new fitting in. Sometimes they are hit by chunks of wood and are defaced.
hugs, Brandi

Yes, very good advice and I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think of this myself. Thanks to you and BHD.

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease #8  
Yes, very good advice and I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think of this myself. Thanks to you and BHD.

B Bob,
Your are most welcome!
hugs, Brandi

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease #9  
some times you may need to remove the zerk and use brake cleaner and wire to clean out the grease passage as much as possible then reinstall and try again.
I have had some limited luck with the hammered hydraulic type tools after cleaning all I could with a piece of wire.

/ BH76 Backhoe zerk won't take grease #10  
I have ONE zerk on the FEL/grapple setup that will only take grease when I open the grapple, at least, half way. I've tried - new zerk, gently heat the area, remove the zerk and clean the "zerk hole" with Q-tip and solvent, fill the "zerk hole" with WD-40 and let it set over night. Notta, notta, notta. It must require the grapple upper lid repositioning and subsequent repositioning of the bearing surface to allow grease to flow.