4520c handle a 7 brushog

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #1  

kittyhawk

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X300 X350 Lawn Tractors. BRANSON 3620H
Hi guys, Im in the process of shopping for a tractor and found one locally a lightly used Branson 4520c with 250 hours. Do you guys think since it has 47hp and 42hp at pto will it handle a 7 brushhog or just stick with a HD 6?
Thanks

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #2  
What do you plan to cut? The norm is 5 PTO HP per foot, 42 hp = should be 8'

Is the 7' HD, too?

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog
I am looking at ag-meier bronco 84r. I believe it is a medium duty cutter.

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #4  
I have a 4720 and pull a 7 footer. When the grass is tall and real thick it makes her bark but pulls it. Keeps her inards clean. I keep the blades sharp. All I cut is grass with it.

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #5  
Yes it will handle it. But depending on weight......it may need some front weight to offset....or a loader left on the tractor.

Look at an 8' twin spindle as well. It will handle it also, and probably easier than the single spindle 7'

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #6  
I use a 6' Woods brush cutter with my 4720. If the grass gets really thick and tall I have to slow down to almost nothing. I wouldn't want a 7 footer unless what I was cutting was never very thick.

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog
Well I went and looked at the Tractor and test drove it. Its a Nice unit and at a great price but boy its Small. I'm 5'10" 210 and the cab was Tight, there is No way my father in law could fit in it, he's 6'5' 230. I don't think it'll work for us since the cabs so small. they hooked up a 6' brushhog BH16, defiantly wouldn't want a 7'er it would be to large.

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #8  
I am 5'10 and 220 lb. I find the relation between the steering and the seat to be not as open as I would like when I just set in my 4720C. But when actually using the tractor, that tightness doesn't seem nearly as noticeable. Being 6'5 may be more of a problem. It is not uncommon for me to bounce up on a bump at speed and hit my head on the ceiling (might not if I had my seat belt on like I should). Adjusting the air seat to your liking takes a while to get right and does help a lot. My dealer has told me when I bought the tractor that he had person bring their tractor to the shop after several years of use, and had never known there were several adjustments for the seat. They complained of the discomfort of driving the tractor as the air seat continually bottomed out. He shook his head and said he now makes a special point to explain all the seat adjustments. I do wish it would go back further so I could reach the controls on my sprayer easier.

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #9  
I am looking at ag-meier bronco 84r. I believe it is a medium duty cutter.
Medium duty gearboxes are rated to 65 hp, at least my Kodiac MD, 6' is. Good to go there. Just because you get a larger cutter, you don't need to use 100% of it all the time. When the going gets tough just don't take as big of a slice, but when reasonable, you have the extra foot and it does make a difference at the end of the day on what gets done.

A word of caution is your topography. If lots of surface variations, expect increased scalping as you get larger in diameter. That has been my limiting factor, causing me to down size from what I wanted to run, bought, and had to sell in the first place.

/ 4520c handle a 7 brushog #10  
I have 39HP at PTO and have a very HD 6 ft brushhog with which I mow pastures and eat small trees (up to about 3-4 inches in diameter) I could mow weeds, light brush, and grass with a larger mower but might have to slow down tractor speed a little.

If your land is smooth such that you can drive faster safely and stay within comfort limits I'd recommend 6 or 7 ft. If you have to drive slowly then you could go larger and think 8 ft.

Patrick