3510i tachometer not working

/ 3510i tachometer not working #1  

Mick57

Tractor
Branson 3510i; Ferguson TO30
Anyone know if there is a "sending unit" for the tach on my 07 Branson 3510i, and if so, where is it located? Do you have any ideas for trouble-shooting an electronic tach. It just quit working so no real clues. All the other gauges and lights on the panel including the hour meter work fine. The last several days I have searched the Internet, and it seems when the electronic gauges go out on just about any brand of tractor, owners just do without rather than spend the money for a new panel board. Thanks.

/ 3510i tachometer not working #2  
If your Branson is like my 4720, if the tach stop working it probably means the alternator is out, as it essentially counts the AC pulses and transforms it to RPM. (This happened to me the first week of owning my tractor. My dealer rushed me both an alternator and a new dash unit. It turned out to be the alternator). I'd recommend you check your battery voltage with the tractor off and again when running. It should go up to over 13 volts running. A diesel will run a long while without an alternator.

/ 3510i tachometer not working
Thanks. Several good pieces of info in your response. Thanks again!

/ 3510i tachometer not working #4  
Your choices of two tractors to own are remarkably similar to mine:)