Branson 6530 - Won't move

/ Branson 6530 - Won't move #1  

PHPaul

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 with cab, Pasquali 986
Neighbor has a 6530. Ran it low enough on transmission/hydraulic fluid that it shut down.

Topped off the fluid and waited a couple hours for the level to settle and the air to work out, fired it up and the loader, 3 point hitch and PTO all work, but it won't move. Acts like the clutch is locked in the disengaged position as you can move the shifter through all the gears without depressing the clutch. No grinding or resistance.

Tried working the shuttle shift, all gears and ranges, locking in the MFWD - no change.

Nearest dealer/mechanic is several hours away, but was as helpful as possible over the phone. Getting the tractor there will be hugely expensive so trying everything we can think of first.

Would appreciate any input or experience with these symptoms.

/ Branson 6530 - Won't move #2  
I don't know how running low on hyd oil could shutdown the engine. I believe Branson's are mostly mechanical. I don't think they have a hyd oil level sensor that could actually shutdown the tractor, might I am probably wrong. Maybe someone can correct me.

Anyway, that tractor has a synchronized gearbox, unless the clutch is bad or it snapped a gear teeth or something similar but this would make a terrible noise. It should move even without oil. Maybe it broke some sort of shifter linkage? Either the shuttle or gear or range shifter.

/ Branson 6530 - Won't move #3  
I don't believe that there is anything hydraulic in the drive of that sized Branson.
Can you feel all the gear and range selection detents?
Did the clutch lock down? Can you follow the clutch linkage and see it traveling?
Does the parking brake lock any thing on the shuttle out?
That's a strange one.

Last edited:
   / Branson 6530 - Won't move
Not my tractor and I'm not handy to it, but I'll check in the morning and pass this stuff on.

I'll be sure to post back when/if the problem is solved.

/ Branson 6530 - Won't move #5  
Not my tractor and I'm not handy to it, but I'll check in the morning and pass this stuff on.

I'll be sure to post back when/if the problem is solved.

Can you or another nearby tractor get access to it to attempt moving it from where it sits? If you can pull it even slightly you'll be able to tell if the clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel, or whatever setup it happens to have. It doesn't make sense that it would halt the engine because of low fluid.
There has to be something else going on. Check linkages, as suggested already, and see if you can possibly get it into any gear, even reverse. Post back results...

/ Branson 6530 - Won't move #7  
Contact Buster Jenkins at Jenkins Automotive in Plainview, Tx. Buster is also the ace mechanic at the Branson warehouse/facility there and is very knowledgeable on Branson problems. I don't know the relationship of the dealership to the Branson facility but I get the dealership when I call the posted Branson phone number for that installation.

Or www Branson Plainview Texas facility and see if that gets you the Branson number.

Small update: Local (60 miles away) Kubota/AGCO dealer came and picked it up, in the shop now. This outfit has been selling/servicing actual farm equipment of all brands since the 50's, not an overgrown yuppie lawnmower outfit.

Consensus seems to be it's NOT related to low oil levels, more likely a linkage issue.

I'll keep being nosy about it and report back when I know more.

/ Branson 6530 - Won't move #9  
On numerous occasions I shifted gears and thought I had picked up the one I wanted but had missed it. This occurs on the ABC range lever, not the rate per range 1234 selector. If I don't feel it engage the gear, I go past the intended gear and bring the shift lever back to the one I want. If you miss it the tractor won't move. May have been your problem. Problem usually occurs when the tractor is positioned other than flat and level with some kind of outside influence on the tractor's position. Doesn't happen all that often. Sometimes it's a sloppy shift on my part. Never have a problem as a result of the shuttle; if in gear you can change directions with zero problems.

I moved shifter and range lever through all possible conditions WITHOUT TOUCHING THE CLUTCH and the engine running. Unless the linkage is completely disconnected, don't think that's the problem.

Still waiting to hear from the owner about what the dealer found.