Buying Advice Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #1  

ursa

Tractor
none
I had finally pulled the trigger on the Branson 5220CH. Great tractor. I need a heavy duty verge (ditch/bank) flail mower as I maintain a lot of roads and there is a decent amount of saplings and brush that need to be cut down on the sides of the road on mountainous property. I have a loader on the front of the tractor and the rear tires filled with beet juice. My rear wheels are set as wide apart as they can be. I am seriously considering the Betsco VL-AGFN160 ditch bank flail mower. 61″ Gold Ditch Bank Flail Mower, VL-AGFN16 | Betstco
This flail mower weighs 1660 lbs, just thinking about whether this might be too heavy when it extends out and down to mow ditches and the low side of banks, will it be likely to flip the tractor or pull it down into the bank? Also wondering if the PTO rating (at the PTO) that Branson gives of 47 and 55 at the engine is a conservative estimate? This unit needs a minimum of 50 HP according to the manufacturer. I would appreciate any input folks have!!!

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #2  
50hp seems high when compared to regular flail mowers of the same width. Chinese flail mower HP recomendations seem kind of random. You're probably close to the 6000 lb tractor weight they recommend.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #3  
I don't think you'll have trouble with the power to the PTO. I'd be concerned about that much weight hanging off center on my tractor (which weights about the same as yours.) I wouldn't do it without actually being able to connect it up to my (or a similar) machine.

Do you have a cat 2 hitch?

My 2 cents.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH
I don't think you'll have trouble with the power to the PTO. I'd be concerned about that much weight hanging off center on my tractor (which weights about the same as yours.) I wouldn't do it without actually being able to connect it up to my (or a similar) machine.

Do you have a cat 2 hitch?

My 2 cents.

That makes a sense, thank you. I have a cat 1 hitch but I have used my tractor with cat 2 implements (road grader of 1100 lbs) by switching out the pins and using bushings. As you know the tractor is beefy enough to handle bigger implements. In this case I think that its possible that a 1600lb implement hanging off center could very well cause problems, just visualizing an implement like that hanging off the side / back doesnt seem right, but I dont have enough experience to know for sure. Hoping I can get more input.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #5  
It'd be most dangerous (likely to tip the tractor over) if you drive on a right leaning slope, extend the mower fully to the right and pick it up off the ground. The mower's weight moves the CG to the right. If it is over the right rear tire's contact patch, you go over. Putting the mower head down puts much of its weight on the ground so it's not acting on the tractor. Operating the tractor on level ground, extending the mower and having it off the ground moved the CG rightward as much but if you're not on a slope it's not as likely to tip. Operating on the slope with the mower behind the tractor will be a bit more stable than operating the tractor with no implement as the mower is low and heavy.

Some weight, say wheel weights, on the left side could help balance it a bit. I'd avoid running on a right leaning slope with the mower extended- go up or down, or the other direction with the mower up a left leaning slope. Do you have a float valve to run it? There's a float kit available, not sure what that is.

Are you in Oregon? You could ask your dealer for advice. If your dealer Dave's in Red Bluff they'd probably have some good advice.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #6  
It'd be most dangerous (likely to tip the tractor over) if you drive on a right leaning slope, extend the mower fully to the right and pick it up off the ground. The mower's weight moves the CG to the right. If it is over the right rear tire's contact patch, you go over. Putting the mower head down puts much of its weight on the ground so it's not acting on the tractor. Operating the tractor on level ground, extending the mower and having it off the ground moved the CG rightward as much but if you're not on a slope it's not as likely to tip. Operating on the slope with the mower behind the tractor will be a bit more stable than operating the tractor with no implement as the mower is low and heavy.

Some weight, say wheel weights, on the left side could help balance it a bit. I'd avoid running on a right leaning slope with the mower extended- go up or down, or the other direction with the mower up a left leaning slope. Do you have a float valve to run it? There's a float kit available, not sure what that is.

Are you in Oregon? You could ask your dealer for advice. If your dealer Dave's in Red Bluff they'd probably have some good advice.

Agreed, but ...
The usual puzzle is;
"How the heck can I mow right down to the BOTTOM of the bank if I have to put the mower uphill of the tractor ?"
and of course the bottom of the bank is often a lot WETTER than the rest of the bank.
People manage to get stuck often enough with the tractor on the upside of the bank.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #7  
This may be one of those situations where operator common sense comes into play. If you can figure out and understand the limitations, and stay within them you will be OK, but if you can't.........

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #8  
I would think your tractor would handle it, what tires and rims do you have?

If these fit even just using 3,4 or five on the uphill side would do quite a bit of counter weight,
from tractorweightsonline.com
Wheel Weights for Branson 5220C
Weight ID
Description
Tractor Wheel Weight 3157-1

Weights weigh 105 lbs. Each
Outside Diameter=18.00", Inside Diameter=9.75"
Thickness=2 1/2
Bolt Pattern: 4 @ 8 1/2 -9 1/2 to 11 & 11 1/2

Price: $1068 for a set of 10 weights.

or from everything attachments,

3167 Wheel Weights For Tractors - 13 Weights Weighing 1040 Lbs.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH
Thank you. Yes I am in Oregon. My dealer, Danielson tractor retired. So I may have to give Dave a call. I am not sure if the two rear remotes that came with the tractor have a float function. I am also not sure how that would compare to the float function of the 3 point itself in the case of this implement.

/ Flail Mower for Branson 5220 CH #10  
The factory remotes on my 3725 don't have float. It wasn't an option. The float on a remote is just like that on a loader- it's a detent. Dave's has an aftermarket additional remote kit that goes on the fender. I got that with one spool for a total of three remotes. They offer more than one spool and float was an option. Right now I'm using the factory remotes for the top and tilt and the additional remote is running a grapple. I'll probably use it in the future for a side shift flail.