Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Branson 3820

Default Tractor loss of power

Folks,

I have a Branson 3820. I went out to do the first mow of the season, and tractor is running smoothly. I start the mower up and get it up to speed on the RPM, get it in gear and it just doesn't want to go. engine is running smoothly, the mower is humming along, it just does not want to go at speed. The clutch seems to engage and disengage normally. there has only been about 45 hours since the last service. without the load on the PTO it seems to have good low end but as the RPMs climb the speed starts to struggle. Not sure What to look at. Fluids are up. filters on the Hydrauilics? or is this the beginning of the clutch failure?

Thoughts?

thanks,
    JEff

Tractor
    Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH

Default Re: Tractor loss of power

So the tractor just won't move, forward or reverse? "Doesn't want to go at speed?" Is the engine bogging down when it "doesn't want to go"? Maybe fuel issue, low fuel pressure, clogged fuel filter? Does your tractor have the DPF "soot cooker" exhaust filter on it? Maybe your filter is partially clogged? Is the DPF warning light flashing or steady on?

Tractor
    Branson 3820

Slim,

No DPF too old for that. engine still runs RPMS seem normal. it acts like its in too high a gear when climbing a hill. just bogs down. I can understand the clogged fuel filter and starved for fuel but I don't believe that is it as it runs normal, idles fine. forward and reverses like it always has.

Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

Quote Originally Posted by JDEO View Post
    Slim,

No DPF too old for that. engine still runs RPMS seem normal. it acts like its in too high a gear when climbing a hill. just bogs down. I can understand the clogged fuel filter and starved for fuel but I don't believe that is it as it runs normal, idles fine. forward and reverses like it always has.
    If I understand you correctly it starts and idles ad you can engage the pto and it will run up to pto speed fine but when you head up a hill it bogs down?
    the rpm's drop?
    Are you getting any smoke out the exhaust? black would be lack of air.
    No smoke lack of fuel.
    If no smoke change your fuel filter and verify your fuel flow to the filter.
    If black smoke check your air filters, if you haven't. Should be checked and cleaned frequently.
    A restricted fuel filter will let an engine run fine at light loads and choke it down when power is needed. As per Slowpoke Slim fuel is quite likely your issue.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Id guess its a fuel filter or less likely a clogged fuel line unless it black smokes when it bogs down. And check the parking brake.

Tractor
    Branson 4020R

Lot of variables here but I would say if the engine runs and revs as normal and the tractor will move at normal speed on level ground but loses speed, while rpms stay the same (or especially go higher), while going up a grade then you have clutch issues. Perhaps as simple as an adjustment.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.

Have you check air filter and radiator?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3520h

How are the brakes?

Tractor
    Branson 3820

So last night I did a once over on the tractor. fuel filters are clean. air filters are clean. fluids are all up. same issues. engine is at running RPM PTO is engaged. ground speed in every gear 1-3, 2-2, 2-3 is the same under the load and tractor will stop if trying to climb a small incline in 2-3. disengage PTO and the tractor will speed up.

TO me it seems like it is Hydraulics or clutch... or brakes are not fully disengaging. am I off base here?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3725H

If it was the brakes dragging it'd be the same with the PTO on vs off.

Do your tractor have an independent PTO, or live (two stage clutch) or transmission? Are you testing with an implement on the PTO?

"without the load on the PTO it seems to have good low end but as the RPMs climb the speed starts to struggle" could you explain that a little more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast