Check your bolts

/ Check your bolts #1  

TWSDallas

Tractor
Century 3040
I have a Century 3040 with about 50hrs. Today I noticed some vibration in the right front wheel while mowing. What I found is the bolts that hold the outside axle housing were loose. Three of them were missing all together. When I inspected the left I found the same thing. That is most of the bolts had come loose. I suggest everyone check these bolts and keep an eye on them. Im going to remove them and use some thread lock.

/ Check your bolts #2  
Thanks, I'll be checking those and all others very soon.
I got 20 hr's on my 3820 Branson.
At about 10 hr's I noticed a clunking sound comming from
the rear axle, mostly going from forward to reverse.......
didnt take long to notice 1/2 the rear outer rim bolts were
loose on both sides!
I also noticed the outer rim was not seated to the innner rim
completely,
yet some of those were tight but not seated.
I had to pull the wheels and do a little grinding to get them
seated correctly.
I had the dealer change the wheels before I picked it up,
went fron AG to Indtrl tires.
There was no need to loosen the outer rim bolts to make the switch.
Nor was there a need to miss the rims not being seated correctly /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Anyway, check all your rim bolts, makes sure all the outers
have the same amount of threads showing, if not the rim may
not be seated.
Gene

/ Check your bolts #3  
If you go back two pages and look at Herdfan's post of "broken hub on a 3045" this has happened before. It has since been fixed at the factory. There are several suggestions on how to fix it in that post.

I noticed mine when I saw a drop of oil on my trailer from the left side. The bolts just started to loosen. I pulled the bolts and loctited them back in and have had absolutely no problems since.

/ Check your bolts #4  
Here's a link to the prior post: Broken Wheel Hub On Century 3045

You will notice that it wasn't the first mention about the problem. It first came up in a discussion started by JonMark in October 2003.

/ Check your bolts
Thanks for the info. This discussion board is a really valuable tool. My dealer is gone so I'll have to contact Jawa directly. I wonder if another dealer would have a problem doing warantee work on a tractor they didn't sell. Anyway if I had this to do over I would have crawled under the tractor at about 20 hrs. and checked all bolts.

/ Check your bolts #6  
Mark,

I'm not sure whether you're in Dallas or Oklahoma, but dancce (Dan Norman) is a Zetor/Century dealer in Creek County, about halfway between OKC and Tulsa. He's a regular contributor to this forum, but you might send him a PM if he's anywhere near your tractor.

/ Check your bolts
Bill,

Sometime I'm not sure if I'm in Dallas or Oklahoma untill I open my eyes in the morning. I see a lot of the Red River. I bought my tractor in Denton. He's since quit the business. I'm going to call him tomarrow and see if he has a deal with someone to do warranty work. The closest dealer to me is in Davis Ok. also there is one in Sherman. I've allready replaced the bolts cause I couldn't afford the down time but I still want a mechanic to check it out to see if there's any damage to the gears.

/ Check your bolts #8  
Isn't there a century dealer by the name of Walls Supply in Marietta?

/ Check your bolts #9  
I've got 20 hours on my 4020 and have also noticed a clacking sound from the rear wheels or axle, only when I first let the clutch out and start to move. It does not continue after I'm moving but it makes the noise each time I start in forward or reverse. I looked at the lug bolts and rim bolts and they all seem tight. How do check the alingnment of the inner and outer rims? It doesn't look like anything is slipping or the paint would be scratched at the bolts.

/ Check your bolts #10  
Hey 67cobia my wheels came off a 4020 any chance you
live in NW Indiana?
Anyhow just make sure the outer rim bolts look like they
all have the same amount of threads showing.
If ya look real close at the 2 rims you can see if there
snugged up together.