branson 4020?

/ branson 4020? #1  

bluecarpenter

Silver Member
Tractor
CK30 HST and allis chalmers b with belly sickle at dads farm. Yanmar 2210DB , ford 8N .farmall cub
Any body have any experience with the branson 4020 tractor. Or any of their models for that matter. Finaly found the branson site. Had to call the site in georga to get some numbers for local dealers here in northern missouri. Called a couple of them and they're supposed to get back with me. It will be a week or two before I can maybe look at one. How is the fit and finish on them. I got some good close up pictures of them and they don't look bad. They also say that you don't need a pto hydro pump to run the backhoe??. Any experience there? Any input? I'm trying to run the gammet on the different CUT's out there.
Also read somewhere that a 6'3" guy had a bit of tight fit on the platform and seat till he modified a couple of things. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanks mark

/ branson 4020? #2  
My NH dealer is also a Branson dealer. I've not worked the machine. But to answer your question about fit and finish . . . I would say it is a nice machine. I didn't see much to complain about when I looked a couple of them over.

There were some design issues I didn't like and some ergonomic issues I thought were questionable . . . but I'd point out that we are each individuals and what I think feels funny you might love and visa versa. I'm a bit over 5'11 and I didn't feel cramped at all, but then again I was not working the tractor I was just sitting in the seat making diesel engine sounds while my daughter was being embarrased and looking in vain for somewhere to hide. Design & ergonomics is going to be up to you to decide if they work for you.

/ branson 4020? #3  
Mark, I have a 4020 ...so just go back thru time and read my posts and I have attached several pictures. I am probably the poster child for the 4020 model. I don't know your particulars...as far as land size or what you intend to do with it...but for me it is an ideal size. I used a 600 series ford tractor for years before stepping up to this. As for ergonomics... I am only 5'8", and it fits me well...has a nice open platform. I think a real tall person might struggle....someone a while back that was like 6'6" had some issues with their knee and the gear shift I believe. Best thing is just to try one out. Also, I think they sized their seat belts too small for us slightly over prime Americans.

As for backhoes, they have a 6 1/2 footer for the 10 series, and a 7 1/2 footer for the 20 series tractor...these are mounted on subframes. (some say stay away from 3 pt hitch mounted hoes as they put a tremendous strain on the tractor ). Some people think they should have bigger hoes...eg 8 1/2 or 9 1/2 foot for these 20 series. I think the Century line does have an 8 1/2 ft hoe available.

I personally have the 7 1/2' hoe, and it moves very quickly...almost too quickly. I don't lack for speed at all. It runs off the tractor hydraulics. I've dug up some pretty big roots with it and have also pushed over some 12-15" trees with it after digging around the root ball. These are only Cuts though ...so the hoe is only half the size of a dedicated backhoe with 15' digging depth. But what a handy tool to have around if you are doing light construction, etc.

I think sometime soon in the near future they will have a 30 series...or at least a tractor in the over 50 hp range.

Also, Franz who posts on here has a backhoe as well....maybe he can chime in as far as his thoughts go.

The front end loader (Korean made Ansung) has a quick attach bucket. You can change to pallet forks, etc in 5 minutes. When I bushhog, instead of dropping the whole FEL, I usually just take off my bucket which removes some weight... but I still have enough weight with the loader arms to offset the weight of the bushhog. Some people have gotten extra sets of the quick attach brackets made and then used them on other homemade contraptions that they want to attach to the front. I have a FEL mounted front blade made by Kasco MFG out of Shelbyville Indiana (www.kascomfg.com)....and they simply adapted brackets for the ansung loader to their plow. Also, I can tell you that mine with the R4 tires is a really stable tractor on these hills that I have here...( I think you may have similar conditions).

The 4020 has the same motor as the one in the 3520, however has a turbo....giving it a few extra horses. The newer models...have the tier 2 EPA complient engines, and the equivelent model to the 4020...eg 4220 ?? I believe... is now naturally aspirated. Cummins Inc, has a joint venture with Kukje, to sell these engines as the "A" series (ranging from 1.4 to 2.3 litre) into the construction market . So if you get one of the newer tier 2 engines...you will probably be able to get engine parts thru Cummins distributors I am guessing.

Anyhow, these are tough little tractors, well worth your time to look at them. My brother first steered me toward the Branson....he has a 3510. I first laughed when he told me about it...as I had never heard of it. After spending some time with him and his tractor, I started looking at them more seriously. The more I looked, the more I liked...and the pricing was great. Short story long.... I went into the local dealer and said I wanted a tractor, as long as it was at least 1" longer than my brother's. That's how I ended up with the 4020. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck.

sassafraspete

/ branson 4020? #4  
Mark, I have the 3520 and the 20 series hoe. For me, I think that I have plenty of power. The hoe is one attachment well worth the extra $$$$$'s and would buy it again. Fit and finish were good. I felt comfortable with the shuttle, main gear and 1st, 2nd, 3rd speed shifter placements. Unlike another that would cause my left leg to cramp if I had any sustained time behind the wheel. I think that my machine is a quality piece and equally deserving of respect from the other brands and the extra money that I saved makes me feel even better. I believe than any purchase comes with risk and some risks are greater than others. Ive weighed my risks and believe that I made the best decision. Time will tell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif YOU need to be happy and feel secure with what you use and buy. Be comfortable with your dealer as well. Maybe the local dealer can give you some names of people who purchased tractors, so that you can talk to them. Hope this helps.