frozen loader controls

/ frozen loader controls #1  

wing164

Tractor
I went to use my 2028/C50 loader this afternoon and the loader joystick was frozen solid; couldn't budge it! The tractor's been outside in the "big shed" during our warm, very wet weather, and I guess moisture found its way into the cables or control, and now has frozen. I was able to thaw it by throwing a large tarp over the running tractor, but the control froze up again as temperatures dropped later in the day.

Has anyone else had this experience? Where did the water enter, and how do I drive it out now?

Lynn

/ frozen loader controls #2  
I've had the same problem on my 3035 with a C-50. I lifted the rubber boot at the base of the joystick and hit the linkages inside with WD-40 in an effort to drive out any moisture. So far it has helped, however it hasn't been really cold here lately to test it properly. It is supposed to be close to zero tomorrow so maybe I will get to test it out. I'll let you know!

WD-40 and duct tape forever!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ frozen loader controls #3  
Nevr leave the loader lever in float mode during cold weather. Mine freezes in that position and won't move unless I torch the valve or let the oil warm up first.

/ frozen loader controls
Thanks for the replies. Gotta get it stored inside!

/ frozen loader controls #5  
Just a touch off topic but in cold wet weather I have to put duct tape over the ignition to keep it from freezing. It's a kubota B7100.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ frozen loader controls #6  
I haven't had any problems - yet! Like most out there, winter just started for us this past weekend. Our first visible snow was night before last. I noticed that the boot doesn't stay in place very well which could lead to moisture getting in. I have fiddled with it time and time again with every kind of tie I can think of to keep it in place, but all I have to do is about 15 minutes of loader work and it has worked loose. I try to keep the tractor covered with a tarp since there isn't room in the 3+-car garage with the "more expensive" equipment.

Branson 3510

/ frozen loader controls #7  
I noticed this also, but it was just my curl functions. I just assumed that some water had gotten into the cable.

JimR
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mine freezes in that position and won't move unless I torch the valve or let the oil warm up first.
)</font>

You heat the hydraulic valve? Does this mean my "water in the cable is frozen" theory is incorrect?

/ frozen loader controls #8  
I was at my dealer today and he had a tractor in with the frozen loader control problem. They had dissassembled the joystick/cables and found the whole cable housing was filled with ice. This one had the little plastic plugs missing from the joystick housing though so I guess it is probably a worst case. We are getting 8-12 inches of snow tonight so I'll find out if my loader is frozen tomorrow AM!

/ frozen loader controls #9  
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you had cables on your valve. Mine is a direct connection and the valve freezes up all the time when it is really cold like this morning at -10.

/ frozen loader controls #10  
Micropilot,
My curl functions were all frozen up this AM when I went to move some snow around. I thawed the cable with a heatgun but it froze up again 15 min later. I then took the cable right off and brought it inside. The cable had filled up with water and had frozen just like you thought. I thawed it out and then filled it up with anti-freeze. I think it is getting in through the many holes in the joystick housing. I will seal it up when it gets a little warmer out.