Gave her a good workout last couple of days

/ Gave her a good workout last couple of days #1  

trs

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 4220
First thing I noticed is even with the weight of 5000lbs plus, popping stumps out is still not easy as tires spin .. using chain hooked to back of tractor.. could not pop them out using loader as I lifted tires off the ground, but did mangage to break roots off enough to finally pull it out after many tries.. maybe ag tires would give a better grip over r-4's... Guess I need a 20000 lb tractor with 500hp and 8 wheel drive to pull stumps out

.. did not try to use backhoe as I had to take off to use posthoe digger to put fencing posts in.. I am use to running a 80hp bobcat that weighs 7500lbs... it will take some time to get the hang of tractor.. still have not used 6ft Kodiak boxblade, it has some thick sides 1/2" says HD on side.. or the rotary mower which also is a Kodiak, 6ft medium duty 90hp gear box.. will use boxblade some time this week to spread new gravel on drive, as this Georgia clay sure can get muddy.. upon starting for first time in morning , white smoke pretty heavy, after that starting up again over the day no smoke.. dealer said smoke is normal..??? also seat is a little to far back even in the forward position for my short 30" inseam.. mostly using clutch.. after some more use I will update... sure am glad I did not go any smaller in size with tractor..

/ Gave her a good workout last couple of days #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...also seat is a little to far back even in the forward position for my short 30" inseam.. mostly using clutch.. after some more use I will update... )</font>

On my Century the seat has 2 positions to mount to the pivot point about 2 inches apart. You might want to check your seat and see if it is the same. It's just a matter of pulling a pin and removing the rod the seat pivots on. If your seat doesn't have the extra holes it would be a trivial matter to drill some extra holes farther back to move the seat forward a bit.

/ Gave her a good workout last couple of days #3  
All sounds good...

Some white smoke is normal on first start up of day..

If she really starts to chug when you start it, it may need a new glow plug timer. They tend to run a little short on the time cycle. I usually glo mine 2-3 times when its below freezing to get a good start.

Enjoy..they're a pretty solid citizen...I have accidentally beat the crap out of mine on several occasions...(learning curve) and it has been very forgiving. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Gave her a good workout last couple of days #4  
"Guess I need a 20000 lb tractor with 500hp and 8 wheel drive to pull stumps out "

FEL really takes a beating trying to root out stumps, no matter what sized tractor you have. Your backhoe is the tool of choice for that. I've uprooted maples up to 15" with my little 2028 and C76 hoe. It brings a smile every time I crawl on it!

Enjoy your rig!

/ Gave her a good workout last couple of days #5  
<font color="blue"> ( ...also seat is a little to far back even in the forward position for my short 30" inseam.. mostly using clutch.. after some more use I will update... ) </font>

<font color="green"> On my Century the seat has 2 positions to mount to the pivot point about 2 inches apart. You might want to check your seat and see if it is the same. It's just a matter of pulling a pin and removing the rod the seat pivots on. If your seat doesn't have the extra holes it would be a trivial matter to drill some extra holes farther back to move the seat forward a bit. </font>

And if the above isn't enough, take a close look at the seat mounting bracket. You should find that it could be reversed, effectively moving the seat forward a bunch, if only there were notches for the seat slider control on <font color="red">both </font> sides.

The secret is to cut another notch on the other side, reverse the whole mess, and I guarantee that you will have no problem with your 30" inseam.

Been there; done that.

/ Gave her a good workout last couple of days #6  
I agree with wing164.... best to use that backhoe for those stumps. Yes , I know...it is the most time consuming implement to put on / take off....but a much better tool to use than the FEL.