NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #1  

tnaz

Bronze Member
Tractor
First up, thanks to TBN for a great site; and thanks to all that offered there input on my new purchase of my Branson 3820.

7 hours on tractor, 2 weeks old!!!

So far I have enjoyed my new tractor, but at start up I have some white smoke like others have reported here on TBN . I don't think this is, nor do I concidered it to be normal!!

Here in Florida I don't see the need for glow plugs; but I have let the timer time out and it still smokes.

After tractor has ran it will not smoke, only on initally start up first start of the day...

Any help is as always much appreciated...

Thanks tnaz

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #2  
Its pretty common on these new Cummins "A" EPA engines to smoke alittle for the first 5 seconds or so until all of the cylinders are firing and all of the raw fuel is spent.I would not be concerned. Time how long it takes with a watch to see how long untill the glow plug light turns off, Some of the earlier units had a shorter time period.I believe it should be around 9 seconds

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #3  
I had a couple posts back this winter regarding smoking and coughing at startup. I talked to the dealer and he seemed to think it was just the cold weather. Even with 3 cycles on the glow plugs it'd still hesitate when started....full thottle, half throttle....tried it all. Turns out the dealer was right. Once it got to april and warmed up a bit it starts like a charm with only 1 glow plug cycle. It was even in an attached garage that never got below freezing. So a 35-45 degree startup must be worlds apart from a 50-65 degree startup. Wouldn't have thought that little temp difference would influence startup that much.

good luck

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #4  
Could this be because of a new engine also? When I first got my 3035 there was some white smoke a startup. Seems to have gone away when I hit ~30 hours.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #5  
We have a yard full of Bransons here at the dealership in Okeechobee and they ALL will smoke for just about 5 seconds after starting, especially after sitting a few days. I wouldn't worry about it, as we have found this to be the norm.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP
Hey Mr. Tom, I beleive I P.M.ed you several months ago and you were still in transitions. Good to hear that you are up and running!!!!

Thanks to all whom have answered, and P.M.ed..

Thanks to another Mr.T; all the info abou't N. G. was right; but thought it best to buy close to home.

Still don't know abou't smoke at start up. I trust all you people and the dealer I bought from, but I still think a new anything should only blow blue smoke, for a short period; and that being oil!!! I have rebuilt and play raced many things, and have never come across unburnt deisel. I don't know, or understand how injectors can leak being new?? How else with white the white smoke????

White smoke ??? Don't understand!!!

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( White smoke ??? Don't understand!!! )</font>

These are diesel engines..
Diesel engines/diesel fuel is fired by heat in the combustion chamber from compression.
When you first start the engine there is not enough heat in the combustion chamber to burn all the fuel being injected.
Unburnt fuel= white smoke

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP
I have operated diesel engines for 25 plus years; I have never had a diesel engine smoke like mine!!!

Granted it only smokes for a short time; it clears, I still don't believe it should smoke!!!

I have seen bucket truck smoke for probably up to a minute never a peace of equipment 30 degrees or colder.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #9  
I have a brand new Chevy duramax and it will smoke when I start it up. My powerstroke Ford did it also.
I also have Kioti, Mahindra and Branson tractors on my lot and every one smokes at start up
It is common for a diesel to smoke when it is the first start.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #10  
A little smoke yes, a lot no. I have had lots of diesels, ford, chevy, dodge, tractors, and a little smokeat start up is nothing to worry about, but on my 2001 Dodge the injection pump was going bad and when you started it, it would smoke for a couple minutes and create a smoke screen. I am talking so much smoke you could not even see the truck if it was a calm day. It never smoked once it warmed up but they attributed this to the injector pumpo going bad.