Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #1  

DigDug

Tractor
Century 3035
Howdy! I have been working my Century 3035 pretty hard this summer. This past weekend while I was shuttling 20 tons of crushed stone into a ditch, i noticed that when i was pushing into the pile i could hear a high pitched pinging noise coming from somewhere near the right rear wheel. It also happens when i start from a stopped position. I seem to stll have power to the wheel but I am afraid I have broken something.

So far, the tractor has done everything I have wanted and am very pleased. I don't have much faith in my dealer and am hoping to learn something before I take it in.

Any thoughts?

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #2  
After several hours of operation, maybe 10, I dont remember, I checked all of my bolts on the frame, loader, rear axle housing mount (4 long bolts) and wheels and found many of them loose. In reference to your question, my rear wheel rim to flange bolts and the axle mount bolts were loose as well, which MIGHT cause your noise. Possibly the flexing and or moving of these two metals against each other under an intermittent load might cause your noise? Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #3  
If you have AG tires I would bet you have a loose bolt where the wheel and rim go together. Let us know how you make out.

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #4  
Everyones description of a noise is different, but I would check the wheel bolts.

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #5  
I'll third the loose flange to wheel bolts. While your at it, it wouldn't hurt to check all the wheel and axle bolts.

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, I checked all of the wheel bolts this weekend and they all were pretty tight. I snugged some of them up and the noise was still there.

I also jacked up the rear wheel and was turning it by hand. It is surprising how much slop/backlash there is in the transmission. I hope that is normal.

I guess I am going to have to take it in. $$ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel
Well I took it in to my favorite mechanic for the 50 hour service and to check out the noise. He can't locate the source of the noise. It is not the wheel/rim bolts. He has never seen anything like this before and says that something is wrong but he doesn't know what it is.

He says that he has to pull the axle to take a look inside. It looks like a few hours just to get it all apart?

By the way my mechanic is not my dealer. He left the dealer to start his own shop. My dealer doesn't have any experienced mechanics working for him anymore so I am hesitant to let them tear it apart.

Has anybody pulled an axle on one of these? Should I just get it back and continue to use it? It seems to still have power. Any advice? Sorry for the long post but I'm out of ideas.

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #8  
If your tractor is still under warranty I would take it back to the dealer to avoid any cost for repairs.

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #9  
This noise has been reported by others on this forum, and I have heard the same thing on my tractor.

I noticed it was while under heavy load (pushing into a pile, carrying something very heavy, etc.). I could sometimes cause it to happen when by reverseing direction while under load.

Did you check the bolts with a torque wrench? This noise seems to have gone away on my tractor after I loosened and retorqued the bolts attaching the outer rim to the inner dish.

/ Bad Noise Coming From Near Right Rear Wheel #10  
I wouldn't think it was an internal axle problem right now. (then again, I havent seen or heard it) Check the 4 long bolts on the axle assembly housing (4 on each side, left and right located on the inner side of the rear tire--kind of hard to get to) and check those before you open her up. Going by your description, it doesnt sound as if it is internal. Please let us know. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif