Branson 2910 warranty work

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #1  

gsgator

Tractor
Branson 2910
I dropped my tractor off on Monday for the 50 service and to have them look at why the tractor started smoking (white) at the 540 speed. The shop called yesterday to let me know they were finishing up with it and the reason it was smoking was because there was a check valve installed on the supply side of the injector pump that was supposed to be on the return side. The check valve was starving the motor of fuel. Does this make sense to anyone? If so, I remember a couple of posts where people were asking about smoking. They can check this out if they want. The shop tells me its like a new machine, so I can't wait to get it back today.

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #2  
Yes I would belive that.

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #3  
gator,

was your smoking issue at start-up??

inquiring minds want to know...

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #4  
Wallace...

you've got to educate me on this.. Does this injection pump have a fuel return??

Doesn't the unused fuel bypass the pump and go right to the return lines than to the tank??

a little confused...

Or does gator mean the check valve was placed on the fuel supply instead of the fuel bypass.

ram

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #5  
one more thing to ponder...

if white smoke equals unburned fuel...how can more fuel make the problem go away?

could it be that air or a lack of fuel gives a poor injector pattern??

if it is air intrusion...would the injectors not pop at all, same for low fuel??

this has been an on going issue for many of us..right GEB!

thats all

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #6  
Right on rameye, some of us want to know all the details /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Mine seems to be running pertty good with summer start ups.
I still think it could be a bit.... better?
Over all my 4720 is serving me very well.
Just a reminder, dealer said they replaced the glow timmer
on my old 3820 and it ran fine and has been sold?
As of now I still get a puff or 2 of white smoke along with
some black smoke at start up but it clears out fast. 10-15 sec's
Gene

/ Branson 2910 warranty work
Sorry for not providing all the details. On the 2910, probably similar on other models, there is a fuel pump that sucks fuel from the tank through the filter and to the injector pump. The injector pump does not use all the fuel and sends some back to the fuel tank to start the process all over again. The check valve should have been installed on the line from the injector pump to the fuel tank, but it was installed on the line from the filter to the injector pump. The tractor was finally ready today for pickup. I'll try it out tonight and provide feedback on whether or not it worked. By the way, the tractor does smoke a little at startup, but goes away in 10 seconds or so. The smoke didn't start again until I approached the 540 speed (I think it's around 2500 RPM without looking at the tach).

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #8  
Ok now I get it...

It was starting to smoke at high RPM! The 540 reference threw me.

What kinda smoke was it?

/ Branson 2910 warranty work
Last night I got to use the tractor for the first time since the work was done. It runs like a totally different (better) tractor and no smoke other than at start up. I cut an hour off my mowing time because it didn't bog down or have trouble in areas I usually have to slow down in. I only wish I had taken it in sooner.

/ Branson 2910 warranty work #10  
Congratulations.... It sure does make a big difference... When I got my tractor,it acted the same as yours did....I couldn't figure out what the problem was until reading on here about the check valve.. I looked under the hood and discovered that mine had no check valve on it, so off to the dealer I went.... got one for free, and within a half hour, I had a new tractor.... now it seems as if nothing can stop it.... amazing what that little check valve can do for you... enjoy the new tractor.........Brian