Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #1  

SnowRidge

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425 / Branson 3520
Back when it was warm out, I changed the hydraulic filter and fluid in my 3520. I used a Napa 1202 (Wix 51202) filter and Certified Universal Hydraulic Fluid purchased at Sam's Club. Everything went smoothly, and I had no problems after the change -- until the temperatures dropped.

When the ambient temperature dropped below approximately 70F, I started getting a loud hydraulic whine from the front of the machine. When I say ambient, I am referring to the outside air temperature at the time the machine was first started that particular day, and by extension the temperature of the hydraulic fluid after the machine had been sitting overnight or longer.

The whine wasn't pure, but had a rattle quality to it, and it was sensitive to both engine RPM and temperature. There was no whine below about 1500 RPM when the temperature was about 70F. As the temperature dropped, the whine started at lower and lower RPMs, until it was present at all speeds when the temperature was about 50F or below. Operating the tractor long enough (at RPMs below the threshold of the whine) eventually warmed the hydraulic fluid enough that it ceased for the day, even at PTO speed.

The whine only occurred when there was absolutely no load on the hydraulic system. As soon as the bucket was raised, empty or full, and however slowly, or if the 3PH was raised, the whine stopped instantly. It never tapered off or came on gradually. It was either there or not. At no time has there been any obvious degradation of the tractor's hydraulic capabilities. Every thing seemed to work fine, and still does -- although I have been carefull to keep the RPMs down until the machine warmed up.

Due to circumstances, the machine has sat unused since the fall, and I have just now had a chance to look into this. Google has revealed not a single parallel to what I have experienced -- for any brand of tractor. Specifically, I could find no mention of an abnormal hydraulic whine being eliminated by placing a load on the system.

After looking at the diagrams in the service manual, it seemed like the most likely culprit would be a malfunctioning relief valve. If loading the hydraulic system hadn't stopped the whine, I would have suspected the hydraulic filter (cavitation due to insufficient intake flow at the pump), but in my mind, I couldn't make the connection to a faulty filter.

Still, the filter was relatively easy to change, and I had one on hand (genuine Branson), so I changed it. BTW, it is possible to change the filter without draining the fluid first. Just be prepared for a bit of a mess. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Once I screwed the Branson filter on -- and cleaned up a bit -- I fired her back up and the whine was completely gone. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So much for my theories. In any event, I don't know if the Napa filter was defective, or if the Napa 1202 is inherently incompatible, but I'll be visiting my friendly dealer and buying nothing but Branson hydraulic filters from now on .

Just thought I'd pass this little experience on.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #2  
Thanks!
Good info.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #3  
Glad you stopped whining /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

There was a post about the hydro filters and poor hydraulic response a while back. Seems that century/zetor/branson (ie them folks) had to re-engineer the filter. I have the new filter and it has eliminated my cold weather hydro issues. The issue being a jumpy 3 point hitch, it would hiccup when cold.

rameye

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues
My 3PH has had the jumpies a couple of times since the machine was new, including when it was delivered. It started again yesterday as soon as I changed the filter. It seems to be related to air getting trapped somewhere in the system during a filter/fluid change. So far, it has always gone away after a couple of hours of operation.

I've had the new Branson filter I put on for quite a long time, so it probably is one of the old style units.

I found this today while searching for the thread you mentioned. I haven't been on the board much for some time, and wasn't aware of it. I think Chipperman may have hit the nail on the head.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #5  
And I will add my lyrics to this chorus. I recently did my 50 hour and have noticed the same two issues: The whine and the pounding in the rear axel or jumpy 3 point hitch. And yes, I installed the Napa/Wix filter.

Jim

3820i, FEL, BH

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #6  
Branson is using Baldwin BT372-10 now, which is longer than the original ones. They do better in colder weather as they have more surface area. Even so, let the tractor warm up a little of course before using it.

<font color="blue">Branson is using Baldwin BT372-10 now, which is longer than the original ones. They do better in colder weather as they have more surface area. Even so, let the tractor warm up a little of course before using it. </font>

Well, that's not very comforting. Baldwin doesn't seem to provide any micron rating for that filter; nor do they mention whether or not it has a bypass valve. The Wix 51202/Napa 1202 filters do not have a bypass valve and are 5 micron filters, according to Wix. Chipperman's post indicated the Branson hydraulic filters do have a bypass valve.

To add to the confusion, Wix says they have nothing that cross references to the Baldwin BT372-10, while Baldwin says the Wix 51202 can be replaced by the BT372-10, and they dern sure look identical to boot -- including their length. Their physical specs are almost identical, and the manufacturers list some of the same applications.

In other words, it sounds like the new Branson filter (or is it Branson recommended filter) is the same sort of unit that was giving me problems. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any ideas?

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #8  
Well thats puzzling to say the least...

I can only attest to the fact that I put on a kukje filter from the dealer and my jumping 3 point dissapeared.

I never had a whining issue.

Not only did I change the filter but cleaned the suction screen also. Never did get any air in the system...maybe I just got lucky.

The answer will come sooner or later.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #9  
I can't find my Baldwin book right now, but the BT372-10 is larger (longer) than the -MPG, uses cellulose type filter material as compared to microglass, and is a larger micron media, meaning less restrictive. Not sure about the bypass specs, but this is an approved filter by Branson.

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the info.