Transmission fluid for 4220

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #1  

trs

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 4220
Manual says TF500 fluid- Dealer says any spec 1 non-foaming- What can I buy from Advance Auto, they carry Accel brand but specs are not listed on 5 gallon bucket-also front axle what product would be best that can be bought at auto supply store or Sam's Club

Thanks

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #2  
You should use a qaulity Universal Tractor Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid. Sometimes it will be called UTF. You'll need about 3 buckets of it. This fluid is also used in the front axle.

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #3  
Did a little bet of web searchin and found that the Coastal Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is available at Advance Auto.

/ Transmission fluid for 4220
Ended up at Sam's club- 5 gallons for $26- UTF showed it was ok to use in several tractors including Kabota- darn /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif it did not say anything about Branson... maybe some day will will get proper billing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where is that screen you all talk about cleaning.

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #5  
I ended up paying $14 for 2 gal containers (Farm&Fleet)
You'll find that screen on the right side of the trans near the frt of the rear wheel.
It will have 3 bolts and a drain plug in the middle, I didnt even
bother with the drain, it was way tight!
The screen is way long, near 12in's looks like a filter.
You'll find a rubber 0-ring on both ends.
And yes you'll also find some metal shavings in it.
Gene

/ Transmission fluid for 4220
Thanks GEB

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Manual says TF500 fluid- Dealer says any spec 1 non-foaming- What can I buy from Advance Auto, they carry Accel brand but specs are not listed on 5 gallon bucket-also front axle what product would be best that can be bought at auto supply store or Sam's Club

Thanks )</font>

I know you got it already but for future ref. It is Accel 303

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #8  
<font color="blue">
Ended up at Sam's club- 5 gallons for $26- UTF.....
</font>

Yep, that's what I use in my 3520.

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #9  
I know you got it already but for future ref. It is Accel 303
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE "303" OIL in anything that needs extreme pressure additives, or has any type of wet brakes or wet clutch.

John Deere cautions against this all the time... the "303" SPEC dies in the late 60's.

I see too may expensive tractor repairs from cheap oil.
I wish the 303 spec stuff would just DIE already.... but people keep buying it...

/ Transmission fluid for 4220 #10  
How much did you pay for your tractor?
Do you expect it to work in all temps and last?
Why do you want to put the cheapest fluid possible in it?
Use a quality hytran fluid, there are numerous brands, easiest way would be to go to a New Holland or IH dealer and get it.
Also I do believe that the front axle fill lube was changed to gear lube.
Quality oil and fluids are the cheapest tractor maintenance items there is.