Default Range Shift Lever in 4720 Issue

My 2005 4720 wouldn't stay in the middle (2) shift range, would drop to neutral at random intervals. It's been doing this since new, and the problem is simple; my butt overhangs the seat enough to bump the handle when driving or twisting to look rearward. The fix was equally simple; I bought a rubber muffler hanger (the figure-8 shaped variety; see picture) at Autozone, drilled a hole roughly 3" to the seat side of the lever slot, and using a 3/8" bolt mounted the hanger below the deck plate so it contacts the shift lever when in the middle position and prevents free movement rearward. Pushing the lever past the hanger when I want to go to neutral or the high range is no problem; the rubber block flexes easily enough but provides just enough resistance to keep the lever from jumping out of gear on it's own. This mod is completely invisible and (so far) works flawlessly. While installing it be sure to take a look at the air breather (white plastic object) located very near where you 'll be mounting the hanger. On my 4720 the hose which connects this to a vent on the side of the three-point lifter assy was cracked and completely rotted out, and had fallen off! A piece of gas line hose worked nicely as a replacement.

Default Range Shift Lever in 4720 Issue

My 2005 4720 wouldn't stay in the middle (2) shift range, would drop to neutral at random intervals. It's been doing this since new, and the problem is simple; my butt overhangs the seat enough to bump the handle when driving or twisting to look rearward. The fix was equally simple; I bought a rubber muffler hanger (the figure-8 shaped variety; see picture) at Autozone, drilled a hole roughly 3" to the seat side of the lever slot, and using a 3/8" bolt mounted the hanger below the deck plate so it contacts the shift lever when in the middle position and prevents free movement rearward. Pushing the lever past the hanger when I want to go to neutral or the high range is no problem; the rubber block flexes easily enough but provides just enough resistance to keep the lever from jumping out of gear on it's own. This mod is completely invisible and (so far) works flawlessly. While installing it be sure to take a look at the air breather (white plastic object) located very near where you 'll be mounting the hanger. On my 4720 the hose which connects this to a vent on the side of the three-point lifter assy was cracked and completely rotted out, and had fallen off! A piece of gas line hose worked nicely as a replacement.