how to disable the shuttle lever safety

/ how to disable the shuttle lever safety #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
I've got a Century 3647.
It's got the sync shuttle lever on the left and, of course, it must be in the neutral position to start the tractor.
Problem is that the switch which allows or prevents the ignition has become tempermental. You've got to jiggle the shuttle lever around and sometimes it wont' make contact.
Very annoying. It's a couple of hours to the nearest dealer, and in the interim I'd like to disable it.
Is the switch the thing bolted to the deck at the base of the shuttle linkage? Looks like a tuning fork with the linkage between the forks.
If so, any tips or advice? Should I just unbolt the thing from the deck and close the circuit?

any advice would be appreciated.

anthony

/ how to disable the shuttle lever safety
I've got a Century 3647.
It's got the sync shuttle lever on the left and, of course, it must be in the neutral position to start the tractor.
Problem is that the switch which allows or prevents the ignition has become tempermental. You've got to jiggle the shuttle lever around and sometimes it wont' make contact.
Very annoying. It's a couple of hours to the nearest dealer, and in the interim I'd like to disable it.
Is the switch the thing bolted to the deck at the base of the shuttle linkage? Looks like a tuning fork with the linkage between the forks.
If so, any tips or advice? Should I just unbolt the thing from the deck and close the circuit?

any advice would be appreciated.

anthony

/ how to disable the shuttle lever safety #3  
My opinion would be to not disconnect any safety devices. If the switch is bad, why not just contact your closest dealer and have the part shipped to you? If the part is in stock you should be up and running within a week. A local farmer in our area was killed because the neutral safety switch was disabled on his tractor. Reached up to start it from the ground and the tractor crushed him. Safety devices are there for a reason. The price of the part is not worth the chance. Just my opinion though.

/ how to disable the shuttle lever safety #4  
My opinion would be to not disconnect any safety devices. If the switch is bad, why not just contact your closest dealer and have the part shipped to you? If the part is in stock you should be up and running within a week. A local farmer in our area was killed because the neutral safety switch was disabled on his tractor. Reached up to start it from the ground and the tractor crushed him. Safety devices are there for a reason. The price of the part is not worth the chance. Just my opinion though.

I realize you're right, but am willing to accept the risk.
The part will be ordered monday, but in the meantime, I'd sure like to do some work.
thanks though.
any other advice?

anthony

/ how to disable the shuttle lever safety #6  
If it's purely electrical you should be able to disconnect & jumper the circuits. Circuits could be open, close, or both. Should be easy to move the switch & determine continuity. Just remember that the act of disabling the switch can outlive your memory of doing it. Does anyone else operate this machine?

good point, and no, nobody else.
I realize it's there for a reason.
I can also remember a time when we didn't wear helmets to ride our bicycles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll be careful!

thanks,

anthony