STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #21  
Thanks for the encouragement. I have limited time right now and wanted to get this in the forum since I heard back from my dealer today with good news that the tie rod update kit is still available.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #22  
WAY TO GO CHARLOTTESVILLE POWER EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!! Good news, the management contacted Branson and was sent the parts. When the crew at Cville power had the parts in stock they then notified me and had the job done by the end of the day.... That gave me time to go to work and run a number of errands and pick it up when they were done. The work was done in a timely and professional manner, and I am very happy.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #23  
fjb2c said:
WAY TO GO CHARLOTTESVILLE POWER EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!! Good news, the management contacted Branson and was sent the parts. When the crew at Cville power had the parts in stock they then notified me and had the job done by the end of the day.... That gave me time to go to work and run a number of errands and pick it up when they were done. The work was done in a timely and professional manner, and I am very happy.

I thought that might happen. Branson cares about it's customers, and obviously your dealer does as well. Good news!

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #24  
Only just found this...
Is there any way of determining if a Century tractor of a given serial number has the updated rods/rod ends ?

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #25  
Reg said:
Only just found this...
Is there any way of determining if a Century tractor of a given serial number has the updated rods/rod ends ?

If the bolt on the tie rod end is about 5/8", it is the newer design. If it is about 1/2", it is the older design. There probably is a serial number break, but finding that info will be difficult I think.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #26  
Had a tie rod fail last night. Backing out of a dirt pile with a full FEL bucket when I heard a pop. Nothing exciting before or after. Tractor is a 2004 with only 181 hours - my Dad's.

Called Branson this AM and they said only parts would be covered and to call my dealer. This is great as I'm 1.5 hours from the dealer and only want the parts - I can change them at home without 6 hours of driving.

Dealer said they can't send the parts as they must do the work - said they've had problems in the bast with Branson re: this. Dealer did call Branson and reconfirm and it's bring it in or no joy. He did offer I could void the rest of the warranty and they'd send me the parts - not sure I have any warranty lefty but this generally sounds like a bad deal.

Any suggestions from the dealers on the site before I buy two of the new ends and have them mailed?

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #27  
MarEng said:
Had a tie rod fail last night. Backing out of a dirt pile with a full FEL bucket when I heard a pop. Nothing exciting before or after. Tractor is a 2004 with only 181 hours - my Dad's.

Called Branson this AM and they said only parts would be covered and to call my dealer. This is great as I'm 1.5 hours from the dealer and only want the parts - I can change them at home without 6 hours of driving.

Dealer said they can't send the parts as they must do the work - said they've had problems in the bast with Branson re: this. Dealer did call Branson and reconfirm and it's bring it in or no joy. He did offer I could void the rest of the warranty and they'd send me the parts - not sure I have any warranty lefty but this generally sounds like a bad deal.

Any suggestions from the dealers on the site before I buy two of the new ends and have them mailed?

Seems kind of odd, you would only void your warranty if you replaced the parts improperly. They can't require that they do the work.

It will be more than the tie rod ends, the steering knuckle gets replaced also if you are getting the upgrade to the larger tie rod ends.

One solution is to have them get the parts, then take your tractor there and go get lunch, after a long lunch pick it back up and go home. Don't make a second trip.

If you are out of warranty, then it really doesn't matter. I will say that Branson is good about things like this. A 4 year old machine is out of warranty, yet they are willing to take care of parts. You can't complain about that!

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #28  
FYI - upgrade kit is $356.27 and in stock. Not that bad.

Made a last run at Branson to see if they'll provide the kit without having to haul the machine to the dealer. If not - I guess I'm buying the kit. Time is too valuable. Not sure how long the work takes at the dealer but the labor cost may offset getting the parts for free anyway.

My time - well I can work on this at night or when it's raining versus taking a day to travel . . .

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #29  
Two conclusions I can draw from this experience:

1) BRANSON is a GREAT COMPANY that stands behind their products even when the official warranty has passed.
2) Persistence pays off.

Dropped Branson an e-mail yesterday about the apparent conflict in their offer to provide free parts to fix a known defect - but only if a dealer did the work (labor not being covered by Branson). If I wanted to change the parts myself to avoid trailing the machine to the dealer I would have to buy the parts. Got a call this AM from Polk County Tractor saying Branson had agreed to warranty the parts and I could come pick them up at my convenience.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #30  
Installed the tie rod upgrade kit today. Figured I'd pass along some of what I learned. The upgrade kit involves changing both the tie rod ends and the axle top plates. The front axle was pressure washed before beginning as the axle is open for this change and I didn't want any crud to migrate in.

I changed the tie rod ends first. This requires removing the tie rod end guards. The new ends share the same end to center dimension as the old ones. I backed the lock nut off a quarter turn and then threaded the old end off. I threaded the new end on with a little thread lock tape until it was tight against the lock nut and then tightened the lock nut back the quarter turn. Note: There is a right and a left end - learned that one the hard way.

To remove the top plates I put the front axle on jack stands so the wheels where off the floor. I figured this would 'unload' the joint a bit. Since the top plate indexes inside the top pivot bearing and also appears to support the entire wheel assembly and the lower bearing I put a floor jack under the joint knuckle and lifted to keep the pivot assembly in place.

Removing the top plates took some patience. Ours were held on with a lot of the 'original' Lock-Tite, RUST. Repeated tapping with a mallet and wooden dowel worked them up and off. Liberal applications of Royal Purple penetrating oil also helped. I suppose a gear puller could be used - but it wasn't necessary. The top of the knuckle did not move when the plate came free - suggesting my floor jack idea was pure dumb luck. If you must pry the plates up get a set of brass machinest wedges - the surfaces are machined and the inner ring is a sealing surface.

After cleaning up the top surface of the knuckle and the new top plate (paint overspray and runs) I slid the seal ring on with a little oil. A 1-1/2" PVC pipe coupling worked perfect as a ring in the press. The top plate dropped back into place with only a few gentle taps and the bolts were taken back up.

The tie rod ends were made fast to the new top plates and greased. And while the gun was out the entire tractor got greased and the radiator screen cleaned - I could see it from where I was sitting in front of the tractor.

Total time - 3 hours. Now I have to get some Branson Gray touch-up paint.

Attachments

• Before Better.JPG
    Before Better.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 746
  • Open Lt Side.JPG
    Open Lt Side.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 595
  • Done Rt Side.JPG
    Done Rt Side.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited: