STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #41  
have any of you looked at the hole the tie rod fits into on the tractor,it is bored straight without a taper it never had a taper,that is why you have to constantly tighten the nut on the tapered shaft on the tie rod.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #42  
Shoot - I just threw my old top plates and ends on the scrap trailer at my buddies house. If I remember next time I'm over I'll grab them and post photos/dimensions. I don't recall if the new ones were tapered or not but I'm loath to pull them apart to check - if it ain't broke . . .

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #43  
Shoot - I just threw my old top plates and ends on the scrap trailer at my buddies house. If I remember next time I'm over I'll grab them and post photos/dimensions. I don't recall if the new ones were tapered or not but I'm loath to pull them apart to check - if it ain't broke . . .

They are all tapered. The new ones are just larger in diameter. I've never seen a larger one fail.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #44  
i just broke the right side tie rod.after 658 hours on my 3510.i was cutting some grass when it broke,is there a recall with it or is there just an upgrade kit???.if Branson has a bad part they should pay for the part or upgrade.i just put two new tires on the frontend too.the other ones had cracks from the start and they just didn't hold air anymore.its been a great tractor and works hard daily.how sells the parts online?? thanks Mark

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #45  
Replaced both sides now. My Century has less hours, just coming up on the 500 mark. This last time it cost me $168.00 shipped. The upgrade kit would cost me $350. I'm not sure if this is for both side or only 1.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #46  
i just broke the right side tie rod.after 658 hours on my 3510.i was cutting some grass when it broke,is there a recall with it or is there just an upgrade kit???.if Branson has a bad part they should pay for the part or upgrade.i just put two new tires on the frontend too.the other ones had cracks from the start and they just didn't hold air anymore.its been a great tractor and works hard daily.how sells the parts online?? thanks Mark

Mine are still good.
I enquired about the upgrade, dealer just said if you keep the nuts on top TIGHT it shouldn't happen - I do and it hasn't (-:

For Web/mail order parts it is probably worth trying Valenti in New Hampshire, we have a recent thread about them.

Valenti's Vintage Vehicles L.L.C dba Valenti's Tractor

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #47  

Any dealer can order these for you, I'd check with your selling dealer first. Depending on the age of your tractor, he might be able to get Branson to help some with the parts costs for the upgrade. There wasn't a recall, just more of an upgrade situation. While still in the warranty period, they generally provided the parts at no charge, but required the dealer to do the labor without reimbursement via Branson.

The early Branson's had a couple of issues that have come to the surface after some time, namely the tie rods and the white plastic PS tank. Even so, these are great tractors and both issues aren't that hard to solve. And Branson fixed these issues several years ago and now we are good to go.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #48  
they did the PS tank,I just put the order in after my post for the tie rod upgrade and its for both sides,It was around $370 for it all and there was more then just tie rods in the box..As for the dealer i got it from that bumb went and started sell some other brand after i got mine.I have tryed to contact Branson about this with no luck yet.i got this tractor back in 2004 and if its something thats been a problem they should pay for the upgrade not me..i think i am lucky that it broke in my own yard not on a job.don't take it the wrong way,this Branson tractor has been great to me and i would buy a new one again from them.next time with a cab:laughing: and has anyone don't the seal for the 3 pt hitch yet??. thanks again for the info.Mark