First Issue....??? Help please.

/ First Issue....??? Help please. #1  

ProFord

Tractor
2000 Century 2035
CENTURY 2035......Ok guys, I used the tractor about half hour this morning and shut it off. I decided to move it so I immediatly tried to start it back and it would turn over but would not start. I let it set 5-7 min and it fired right up. Later today I ran it for 3.5 hrs grading 2 driveways and when I shut the tractor off I tried to restart and it would turn over but not start again. Let it set 5-10 min and it fired right back up. I feel something is causing this just not sure where to start looking. I noticed the temp gauge is not working......but I poped the hood and there seemed to be no excess heat....or no boil over so I dont think its running hot but I need to figure out where to sart on that issue to. Wonder how I can test the gauge? I order a group of manuals to this tractor oper/repair/parts from TYM so maby when they arrive I will find a starting point with both. Anyone want to take a stab or have any pertinent info/common experience. Im learning and like to do my own work just tractors and racecars are a big difference.LOL;) BTW, it ran great while running....I love it all ready

/ First Issue....??? Help please. #2  
ProFord said:
CENTURY 2035......Ok guys, I used the tractor about half hour this morning and shut it off. I decided to move it so I immediatly tried to start it back and it would turn over but would not start. I let it set 5-7 min and it fired right up. Later today I ran it for 3.5 hrs grading 2 driveways and when I shut the tractor off I tried to restart and it would turn over but not start again. Let it set 5-10 min and it fired right back up. I feel something is causing this just not sure where to start looking. I noticed the temp gauge is not working......but I poped the hood and there seemed to be no excess heat....or no boil over so I dont think its running hot but I need to figure out where to sart on that issue to. Wonder how I can test the gauge? I order a group of manuals to this tractor oper/repair/parts from TYM so maby when they arrive I will find a starting point with both. Anyone want to take a stab or have any pertinent info/common experience. Im learning and like to do my own work just tractors and racecars are a big difference.LOL;) BTW, it ran great while running....I love it all ready
For the start problem Im thinking Its fuel related? Make shure the soloniod on the injection pump is activating, Does it crank allot before it does start? Possibally it is loosing prime or sucking air.Id have to think that it would boil over if there was a cooling issue

/ First Issue....??? Help please.
I got my manuals from TYM(Very Nice guys over there Russ or Chad) specifically for my Century tractor. The COOLANT gauge>Iwith the help of these manuals traced it back to the instument cluster.....after checking the sending unit and wiring seems to be a ground issue Im goin to disassemble and clean it later. Its working at the moment. As far as the hard starting.....Im not sure if this is the culprit but while pulling off the plastic panel the ignition switch is in ...the return fuel line was pinched pretty badly... I re-routed it and used the tractor a few hrs today and it started back fine......maby a fluke? LOL I will have to take the inst cluster out and inspect it tho.....

/ First Issue....??? Help please. #4  
In the 70's I had a boom truck with a Caterpiller engine. If I shut it off and tried to start it without waiting 30 min it wouldn't start. I figured out that the shutoff solenoid was weak and pressure would build up and hold it closed. If I unscrewed it and relieved the pressure it started right up. I learned to just leave the key on if I was going to go again soon.
The kinked line might have jambed the solenoid from back pressure.

Hmmm...I will remember that. All is well on that issue as of now..I hope.:D

Just an update.......the pinched return line was the problen....never had it act up after re-routing the line