Century 3045 wheel welds broken

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #1  

ray4713

Tractor
Century
I have a century 3045 with around 90 hours on it. I bought it new 2 1/2 years ago. Last week I heard a popping noise comming from the front of the tractor. My initial thought was bolts were loose but they were not. I then found 2 of the 4 welds that hold the wheel hub to the rim completely broken. This happened on the right front wheel. Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like the welds didn't fuse good into the wheel rim. I hope to get it fixed today but it has been a bear finding someone to do it. The wheel hub bent SLIGHTLY (less than 1/4 ") and I was able to straighten it. I just needed someone to remove the tire, weld it and replace the tire. As a side note I have not had any other problems with this tractor and I am very pleased with it.

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #2  
Is the tire tubeless? If it is why cant you do one weld at a time without removing the tire.

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #3  
I would do one weld at a time and let it cool, leave the tire in place! Use a 7014 or like. Oh ya, and clean, clean, clean, if you do it yourself.

Bob

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken
I'm not sure if the tire is tubeless or not. I thought about doing what you said...weld some and let cool, repeat until complete. I'm not the best welder and don't want anything to happen while I am operating the tractor so I did find someone at the COOP in Eagleville, TN to do the welding. When I pick it up I am going to ask them how they did it so if it happens again in the future I have a better idea.

I forgot to mention the tire is loaded with water. Do you still think I could weld it without removing or draining the tire? Just wondering for any future issues. Thanks.

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #6  
I would leave the water in so it would act as a cooling agent. I know when we weld up fuel tanks we empty them and fill them with water.

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #7  
I would unload the tire and remove it for the re-weld. I would be concerned about the rim rusting out where you weld it on the inside. You could weld it in place if it is tubeless, but I would call it temporary and pull the tire and clean and paint.

Sorry to hear you have this problem.

Jeff M

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #8  
I would agree with Jeff, Have the tire removed, reweld, clean and paint the affected areas and remount and refill the tire.
George

Thanks to all who responded. I had the tire pulled and welded both from the exterior and some welding done on the interior of the rim. The tire was replaced and I repainted the exterior surfaces. Cost me $60.00 but I feel better about having a professional weld it. (I won't trust my welding to a component like this).. Now I can get back to work!!

/ Century 3045 wheel welds broken #10  
My left fron on my 2035 has been rewelded also before I bought it...hmmmmm looks like it snaped right at the factory welds...maby I should order a spare rim?