Finally Replacing the Power Steering Tank

/ Finally Replacing the Power Steering Tank #1  

MarEng

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3510 Ford 3000
Not really news but things have been so quiet here. High centered the tractor (3510) over the weekend (long story) and ended up holing the power steering tank (with a chain saw - longer story). This is the third or fourth time I've lost the fluid due to a cut line or damaged tank. Finally called the nearest dealer and for $110 he will upgrade to the no-tank arrangement. Branson is providing the parts - I'm paying labor. He said everybody is thrilled with it once it's done. I'll let you know. It's a 2004, I've just delayed because I have to drive an hour plus each way and leave the tractor for ?? days. This is only the second time it's been anywhere - no complaints regarding arrangement, performance or quality!

At $110 it's cheap compared to an unplanned walk in, trip to town, oily/muddy repair and another gallon of hydraulic fluid. Why did I wait so long!?!

/ Finally Replacing the Power Steering Tank
Has anybody else had this done? Dropped the tractor off yesterday and after the counter guy told me it would be $110, the shop guy said it should be free. What's Branson's position on this? Is the counter guy just trying to drum up a little extra $$$? I'm going to call Branson on Wed when I get back on dry land and find out the official position.

/ Finally Replacing the Power Steering Tank #4  
I have had similar problems with my tank. I need to find a way to protect it better.

Called Branson and asked about the difference in opinion re: the cost for the tankless upgrade. Per Branson, because the tank is a known problem the work will be done entirely at their cost.

Work is done - tank is gone. Used the tractor hard the last three days (between rain storms). Not sure if knowing the hoses were gone led to false bravado but I did things I've never done before (as far as aggressiveness) and still drove to the barn at the end of the day - instead of walking for the truck and a ride to the parts house. It was definately worth the 1+ hour trailer haul each direction to get it done.

Now - I need to find a tool box that will fit in the hole the PS tank used to fill.

/ Finally Replacing the Power Steering Tank #8  
OK - great to here how it all went in case it happens to me. BUT how about "the longer story" - how did you create the problem with a chain saw??
(I can't wait)

Year and a half ago when we cleared the first 3.5 acres of our place and cut pads for the barn, drive, trailer, etc. we ended up scraping the topsoil into windrows to get it out of the way. As we only had a week off from our collective jobs and were using rented equipment (D4), redistributing this dirt was a low priority. I'm now doing it with the 3510 on evenings and weekends. This dirt also contains a ton of tree trash from the clear cutting including a bunch of 'small' 4-6" diameter tree trunks. The job of putting it back is slowed immensly by needing to take time to pull the wood waste out and burn it. OK - enough background.

On the day in question I was cutting a water relief channel through one of the windrows to fix a little erosion problem. Little did I know that at the point I was cutting through, the berm was mostly tree trunks, laid together and perpedicular to the front of the tractor. The trunks were covered with 4-6' of dirt. As I dug away I found the end of my cut was blocked by a large stump (removed with the dozer earlier but still needing to be pushed out of the way). As I set up to push the stump, the last of the dirt on top of the previously undiscovered tree trunks wiped away and the front wheels dropped. On the way down the tractor slewed a little to the left. No big deal really - figured I'd just walk out on the FEL with the DIF lock engaged. Done it before. Minor detail - when I dropped and slewed an uncut tree stump ended up between the FEL bracket and the front left wheel. Can't go forward, can't go back and can't effectively slew the tractor back to the right. Bright idea - cut the stump off. A little shovel work and some blocking to make sure the tractor is stable and we're in business. Painfully aware of the proximity of the chainsaw chain to the PS tank I proceed, but without putting something in there to protect the tank - In hindsite the only thing that would have fit would have been an old set of saw chaps.

Stump is cut, I'm feeling like the day won't be a total waste when I go back to touch up a sharp splinter on top the stump to avoid the need for a new tire. It is then that I catch that painful little glint out of the corner of my eye and realize it's hydraulic fluid flowing out of the tank. One little careless touch while tired and there goes the day. Further extraction efforts are hampered by the need to shut down every 30 seconds and refill with hydraulic to avoid running the pump dry.

I can recomend marine epoxy and blue shop towels (as reinforcement) to fix holes in these tanks. Made a rather neat repair that would probably have lasted years. But as this was the fourth need for repair on the PS system it was time to visit the dealer.

There you go - short story, long.