chain saws

/ chain saws #1  

hangnail

Bronze Member
I'm looking to possible add to my jonsered 450 soon. It is a 18'' saw.

I'm thinking of getting one of about the same size/power, maybe even go to a 20'' model. I also want a arborist saw. something small and light, and can easliy use in a tree or while doing clean up.

I want to stay away from the homeowner saws, and stay in the pro line. I would not call my self a pro, but I cut enough to need a good saw, and dont mind paying for quality. I will be doing some yard clean up and light tree removal,(we dont have an bucket lift, so anything we can really just drop) so, the saws will see a decent amount of use. The 450 is easily 15 years old, and will out perform most saws out there, but lacks some of the modern features, like being easy to start.

I just checked out the jonsered website, nice looking saws, but interested in other pro grade stuff. what do you guys recommend?

/ chain saws #2  
I mainly use a Jonsrud 50 cc pro model with a 16" bar. Small, easy starting, light, very handy and power for anything. Also have a pair of Jonsrud 65cc pro class old & new with 20" bars. These are super power and comparatively heavy but makes quick work of say a 3' diameter pine.

My first saw is an old Poulan homeowner 18" bar - don't know the cc's but in comparison to the Jonsrud 50 cc it's a dog. Takes forever to cut with it. I do use it in trail cleaning stumps where the chain will hit dirt. Definitely abuse it but it keeps running.

The pro class saws will get you chain options to take advantage of the power & torque but they are not safety chains with anti-kickback. Stop in a pro saw shop for a test drive. You won't get this stuff in a big box store.

/ chain saws #3  
I would recommend you look at the Stihl MS361, it is a great 18"-20" saw. I have one and really like it. If you want to do more chainsaw research you should check out arboristsite.com but be forewarned you could catch the chainsaw virus like I did and end up with several saws and wanting more. Do a search on the 361 and you can get all the opinions you care to read. Cheers

/ chain saws #4  
I agree with Saxman about the MS361, lots of good things said about that saw.
Look at the Husky XP's their pro saws too.

/ chain saws #5  
Go w/the Husqvarna 357XP and you'll be more than satisfied. It flat cuts! Whatever, you decide on you need to get a feel for it. The Huskys just feel like a beautiful red head in my hands, perfect fit. However, the still didn't feel right to me. I despise the handle. This is not to say the Stihl is a lesser saw but the way things are right now I'm sticking w/the Husqvarna XP line up.

/ chain saws #6  
Just a word of caution. Don't be making saw choices on the length of bar. :D

Make decisions based on HP. or cubic inches and the type of chain [ gauge/pitch ] :D

There are a few major brands out there that will have a saw that feels comfortable to you. Shop long and hard and get a feel of the different saws in your hand. What suits one fellow may not be kosher for you.:D

/ chain saws
I try not to do that, some 16'' saws will out perform a big 20 plus inch saw. I know and feel comfortable that the brands and grade of saw I'm am looking for that they are made to handle the 18 0r 20 inch bar, and then some. I just want to replace the 450 with 2 saws, a light small one, and a bigger worker. I by know means want a cheap when I say small. I'm gonna go check out the stilh dealer close to me, the jonsered dealer is a little further away.

Egon said:
Just a word of caution. Don't be making saw choices on the length of bar. :D

Make decisions based on HP. or cubic inches and the type of chain [ gauge/pitch ] :D

There are a few major brands out there that will have a saw that feels comfortable to you. Shop long and hard and get a feel of the different saws in your hand. What suits one fellow may not be kosher for you.:D

/ chain saws #9  
I bought a Husky 359 with a 24" bar mailorder. It's a bit heavy and, after ordering, I thought it might have too much bar.

Still, it made quick work of a 30+ inch soft maple. Went through that thing like butter. Starts good and idles great too. 20" on the 359 would probably be perfect.

A lot of new saws are being built with catalytic converters in the muffler so they can be sold in California. That adds a lot of heat to the exhaust port area. The catalyst coated plate in the muffler supposedly glows red hot during operation. Saws designed before this requirement often have older replacement mufflers that can be ordered to replace the Cat. Conv. model. They run cooler and would probably help longevity.
Bob