Pesky Chain Saw

/ Pesky Chain Saw #1  

SteveV

Silver Member
Tractor
Bota 2400
Maybe the hydraulic tree shear is needed just because there's no way to carry a chain saw on a stock compact tractor. I've tried wedging the saw just about everywhere on the 'bota 2400, but haven't found a spot that didn't either damage the tractor or the saw. The other solution which was to let the saw ride the load of logs on the trailer, but everybody knows that load moves eventually. So, out comes the steel and c clamps. First clamp-up attached. SteveV

Attachments

• 37-122665-03240006.jpg
    37-122665-03240006.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 594
   / Pesky Chain Saw #2  
Couldn't you make a metal boot, kind of like a bar cover, clamp or otherwise attach it to the tractor ? You could add a strap, like on a pistol holster to hold the chainsaw in the boot. You could probably even line the boot with plastic, or make it large enough to fit the plastic bar cover in it.

Just a few ideas I had after looking at your clamping.

/ Pesky Chain Saw
You're heading down the same path. Here's the top view of the clamp-up. SteveV

Attachments

• 37-122692-03240008.jpg
    37-122692-03240008.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 462
   / Pesky Chain Saw
The material list is a 12" piece of 3 by quarter flat stock and 5" of 1" by 3" rectangular tubing that was flattened to give a bit less that 4 inches of slot for the saw. The pieces were clamped in position and the holes were marked for drilling. The rectangular stock and flat stock were welded together so there wouldn't be any bolts to catch the bar and chain as it goes through. Paint shop attached. SteveV

Attachments

• 37-122699-03240012.jpg
    37-122699-03240012.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 413
   / Pesky Chain Saw
We got a little ahead of ourselves there. Here's the picture that was suppose to be with that last post. SteveV/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 37-122703-03240009.jpg
    37-122703-03240009.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 424
   / Pesky Chain Saw
This last pix shows what I've been up to. Anybody know how to prune the pear tree in the foreground? It produced a dozen pears last year despite having its blossoms frozen in a late frost. SteveV

Attachments

• 37-122705-03240003.jpg
    37-122705-03240003.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 409
   / Pesky Chain Saw #7  
Yeah, that's simular to what I had in mind. Nice work.

As far as the pear tree, I'm not positive, but I think its best to prune in the middle of winter (January) to avoid damaging the tree.

/ Pesky Chain Saw #8  
That is a nice job you did on the chainsaw holster. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif
I have been thinking of making a container for my chainsaw's and realted equipment when I go out to cut wood. I usually put everything in the FEL and head out into the woods. That is not the best palce to carry two saws, gas, oil, wedges, an axe, peavy, chaps, helmet, water, and gloves.

I think I need a trailer to tote everything in. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

That is a nice pile of fire wood you have there. Looks like a couple of days cutting and spliting.

/ Pesky Chain Saw #9  
Interesting holster for your chain saw, but I can't see what protects the chain saw teeth from riding against the steel of the flattened tube. I used to have a wood scabbard that was fastened to the tractor, so the teeth would only be against wood. Am I missing something here? Could the holster be lined with wood, plastic, or rubber that I can't see?

/ Pesky Chain Saw
Well, I sharpen my own chains/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif and haven't had much regard for the two teeth that might be involved in touching the holster (like that, it sounds neat!). My primary concern was to keep from bending the bar where I was tucking the saw in the back carriage of the forks and 4 or 5 inches was hanging below the carriage, or worse yet, dumping it out of the bucket when Mr. Forgetful gets involved. I promise to add some plastic in there!! SteveV