Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default New Chainsaw Question

Not sure this is the right forum but here goes. I plan to buy a new chainsaw in the next day or two. I have been through two Craftsman saws in the past two years and have had it with these saws. I have narrowed my choices down to the Stihl MS250 with an 18" bar and the Husqvarna 350 with an 18" bar. Both saws look to be built well and have good dealer support. Both appear to be price right around the $300 mark. The is full MAP price. It looks like the Husky is on sale.

Does anybody have any personal experience with either of these saws or can otherwise provide advice on them?

Thanks,
    Mike
    New Holland TC35DA, 16LA FEL, 2-6' Bush Hogs, 6' Rake, 3 pt Spreader, 6' Box Blade, 12" PHD

Tractor
    See signature

Default Re: New Chainsaw Question

I have the MS250. I wasn't real impressed with mine. I have the 16" bar on it. It sure seems to struggle with that. I straight piped the exhaust and richened up the carb mixture and it runs pretty good now. I have been thinking about trying the 18" bar the way it is now. I know you can get this saw with the 18" bar, but wouldn't recommend it if keeping the saw stock.

Tractor
    Montana 3040

Quote Originally Posted by L4400
    I have the MS250. I wasn't real impressed with mine. I have the 16" bar on it. It sure seems to struggle with that. I straight piped the exhaust and richened up the carb mixture and it runs pretty good now. I have been thinking about trying the 18" bar the way it is now. I know you can get this saw with the 18" bar, but wouldn't recommend it if keeping the saw stock.
    I own the 359 with a 20" bar and it runs well, my buddy that cuts with me often owns the 350 with 18" bar and it struggles. I do not know why but the 350 seems to be a underpowered for the specs. I really like Husky saws but I am not impressed with the 350... of course you can buy the 350 at sears, maybe it is more of a consumer model. Just my two cents. I have run about 30 cords of soft wood (aspen) and about 20 cords of shaggy bark juniper (hard on a saw) through the 359 and love it.
    Montana 3040

Tractor
    (Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1910 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new

I have three Stihls including the MS250 and have never had any problems with them. I had a Husky some years back. don't remember what model but it was a 14" bar, and it worked fine but had one annoying problem no one could seem to fix.

When holding the saw at idle, and then raising it up, it would die.
    Kubota L3400-HST, Ford 1910-Gear FEL, John Deere X748SE

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

I have the MS250 and am very happy with it. Mine was even well priced, I won it as a door prize. I use it and a Stihl 026 to cut all my fire wood. I've used the 026 for over 15 years and the MS250 for the last 4.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

I currently own 3 Huskys, one consumer grade (455 Rancher), and two pro grade (346 & 372).

I own one Stihl, an MS 210 (consumer grade).

I think you will do well with either saw. I lean toward my Huskys, but Stihls are possibly the most revered saws on the planet. Though i don't own the exact model of either saw, i follow saws on other forums. I have read great things from owners of both saws. I'm no professional woodsman, but i cut the better part of ten cord per year now, mostly for my own personal heat (i have sold a cord or two to folks i know). My own opinion is to now stick with ONLY pro grade saws from here on out, but if you only cut a couple cord per year..... or only cut up downed trees on occaision, then one of those two saws will do you well for many years.

Tractor
    MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C

I bought the Stihl Farm Boss (sorry I don't remember the number) and it has been a great saw. The dealer I got it from still serviced Husky's but refused to sell them. He claimed that they were now a rebadged poulan and not the true Husky that they used to be. My brother in law bought one from Lowes just before I bought my Stihl. He has had quite a bit of trouble out of it. My Stihl didn't cost very much more than his Husky. As I recall his was just under $300 and mine was just over.

Tractor
    Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags

I don't think you'll go wrong with a brand name. Some are commercial and some are for homeowners. You get what you pay for in chainsaws and tractors. Buy a good commercial saw and use it for a long time and it still has the resale. Stihl and Huskys are GREAT saws...From the pics I guess you can figure out my preference...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by chh
    I bought the Stihl Farm Boss (sorry I don't remember the number) and it has been a great saw. The dealer I got it from still serviced Husky's but refused to sell them. He claimed that they were now a rebadged poulan and not the true Husky that they used to be. My brother in law bought one from Lowes just before I bought my Stihl. He has had quite a bit of trouble out of it. My Stihl didn't cost very much more than his Husky. As I recall his was just under $300 and mine was just over.
    The consumer versions of Husqvarna saws are like the Poulans, the commercial saws are true Husqvarna saws and are very good saws. Your dealer either didn't know much about Husqvarna or he had problems with Husqvarna and was bad mouthing them as an excuse.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

I have a Husky 460 ( a 455 with more power) and I love it. I had the dealer install an 18" bar as I don't need a 20". I don't think you will go wrong with a Stihl or a Husky.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast