Chain saw mounted sawmills

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills #1  

elalexander

Gold Member
Tractor
1982 Bolens/Iseki TS 1910 f (G194)
Has anyone had, or have any advice, pros, cons etc on the chainsaw mounted mills? The lumber I had cut for a project is all but gone now and I was wondering if a mill, like the MK III are any good. I'd just like to get a few boards from trees I drop now and then, let them dry and then I would have some lumber on hand. I'm just asking for recommendations.

Thanks, El.

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills #3  
Those mills do work. They are also _lots_ of work to run. You need a pro grade, fairly large saw. The consumer grades won't hack it. My "big" saw is a Stihl MS310 that will run a 25" bar (skip tooth chain). It is a consumer grade saw and I wouldn't even try to use it on a mill.

The arborist site mentioned is a very good place to post such questions. You will get more replies than you really need but they will all be interesting and most of them knowledgeable.

The site address now is www.arboristsite.com.

Was newarboristsite.com for awhile. Not sure about the new.arboristsite.com

Harry K

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills
Thanks guys. My small saw is a stihl 028 super AV 16" bar and for the bigger stuff I have a Stihl 440 with just a 20" bar. Hopefully these would handle what I'd like to do.

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills #6  
I just got a free Logosol DVD. I think i just emailed them to get it. Makes you want one...they make it look very easy.

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills #7  
I use small log mill (from Baileys) and Solo 651 with 20" bar to rip logs from time to time. It is no regular operation, I do it when storm knocks down a tree only. It is not easy, but it is not as painful as you would think. One cut is say 20 minutes in maple, faster in pine.
My saw has the narrow kerf and ripping chain and I typically touch up the chain after two boards with HF grinder to keep it going well.

If I was serious about it, I would move the logs to saw mill or pay somebody to come with a saw mill to my property; the wood I get from my ripping is good enough for small projects up to the size of a table - and it costs my only a workout:)

BTW, there is an active saw mill group on yahoo with extensive information in archives.

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills #8  
randy41 said:
I just got a free Logosol DVD. I think i just emailed them to get it. Makes you want one...they make it look very easy.

I have seen them demo the M7 at the Farm Show and it sure looks easy. :D But even the M7 is more money than I want/can spend. It made boards pretty danged fast.

I have an Stihil 046 which at the time was the third most powerful saw Stihl made. Its just powerful enough according to what I have read to do the work.

Later,
Dan

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills #9  
i made the procut mill with a husky 3120 and a 36" bar.it work but i put a hudson oscar 28 mill on the frame because a bandmill cuts much faster and the bands are a lot less money.the chain had to be sharpend a lot and the saw loved gas w/the exhast blowing on you:(

/ Chain saw mounted sawmills
Thanks for the model numbers and info. I had to wait last winter to get logs into a sawmill and then wait to get them dried etc. That was not problem but I would like to have something for when you just want to cut a few boards to put up and start to dry so you have some lumber on hand.

Right now I have a really nice hickory and a cherry tree down that Mother nature blew down. Both are too nice to cut up for firewood. I just hate to go thru the log hauling waiting process again.