Really don't need a chainsaw

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #2  
That is one of the coolest machines I have ever seen! :cool:

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #3  
:eek: Man, I can feel my back achin' just thinkin' about using a chainsaw to cut 1 or 2 of those trees. Where can I rent one of those? On second thought, maybe I better not, I wouldn't have any woods left!:D

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #5  
too darn cool...reminds me I have to go cut out an oak tree out of the 100 year old pecan... darn oak grew and interwined inside the pecan...large oak so will have lots of fire wood!

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #6  
Hiya,

Oh man take my Stihl, Buell, 340 Swinger and maybe my teenage daughter for that puppy lol. Wonder if they have 0% for 36 on that???? :D

Tom

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #7  
cool machine. Doesn that take all the work I mean fun :( out of a logging job ?

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #8  
It's an impressive machine!

/ Really don't need a chainsaw #9  
As impressive as that is. This machine is kind of a newer generation (I believe originally designed in Sweden) that causes a lot less damage on the fores floor. Weighs much less then crawler type tree harvesters. It can direct the fall of the trees by pulling the butt end in the opposite direction instead of muscling the whole thing over. The operator makes the cuts on the log at certain lengths. As the tree is rolled through the harvester head it measures the log and can also create a record of how much wood was harvested during the day. They are also good to use in selective cutting situations where some of the stand is left in place. The long boom can work around other trees without damaging them. A machine like this works in tandem with a forwarder (hauler) unit that is a similar setup only it has a loadable bed on it and a boom arm with grapnel. That guy would haul out the logs to a dirt road passable for semi trucks. You don't find chainsaws at an operation like this one.

/ Really don't need a chainsaw
Easygo, I am just wondering if you are seeing any of these up there in Maine? Around here we are not seeing too much clear cutting or large logging operations. Not to say they are not around, but mostly small operations.

I have mixed emotions about logging operations requiring this type of equipment. I see a major need to continue cutting logs for lumber, paper, firewood, just wish we could keep it under control.