Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #11  
I just bought a Husky 55 Rancher with a 13 in bar.

It has a metal tag stating "Made in Brazil". It turns out the parts were made in Sweden and shipped to Brazil for assembly as this model was no longer emissions compliant.:D

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #12  
D7E said:
...AAAAGH...Don't start that....
#1 Stihl 026 or MS 260 +
#2 Husky 55/455 or pro saws
#3 Echo (If there has to be a #3)

Best selling saws worldwide.....Stihl 260,036,044....YadaYadaYada and Husky 55,357,359,and up..?

I have 2 J-reds,3 stihls,1 JD,2 Huskys,1 echo,1 "poo-lan",1 "****-lite,"

Stick with the pro models ,Avoid all the "Elasto-crap" and other gimicks like "easy to break" chain tensioners and stay with the "2" ,Stihl and Husky...?.

I cannot stress how much trouble the Jonsereds have been....?

If you're referring to my post, I didn't number them. Didn't list them in any particular order either (should have specified I reckon). I just mentioned that the only 3 I have researched are Echo, Husky and Stihl.

No need to get all bunched up. :p

Of course, if you weren't directing your post at me, please disregard.

Podunk

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #13  
I've tried them all. Settled on the Stihls years ago and wouldn't look back. (I log and clear land commercially, we have 7 Stihls in the family).

The Huskys from Home Despot are a cheapened version, be careful. You get what you pay for.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #14  
Mornin MDM,
I havent used any of those saws so I cant really comment on them, but I have been using Stihl saws for many years and I have had very good luck with them ! I dont use them commercially, but do cut about 6 cord a year sometimes more and they have been bulletproof ! JMO ! ;)

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #15  
I have a Husqvarna(sp) and a Stihl (Farm Boss w/18" bar). Used them both yesterday and they both do a great job. Have only had the Stihl for a short time and have owned the Husqvarna for several years. Bought the Stihl at a lawn care business and the Husqvarna came from Sears. No problems with either.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #16  
MDM said:
I have read through countless saw threads and I've narrowed it down to a few models that my local dealer has:

Husky 350 - $340
Husky 455 - $395
Echo c520 - $390

I'm leaning a little towards the Echo because of the 5yr warranty but I'm going to check them all out.

I'm undecided on an 18 or 20" bar. It would be used to cut about 8 - 10 pick up loads of firewood per year. I don't plan on cutting really big stuff, but there may be a situation when I would need to. Not sure if I should go with the little extra weight and power of the 455 just to have in case I need it. The Husky 350 and Echo are about the same power wise.

I'll admit I am thinking Orange to match my tractor as well. I have found a guy selling the 455 NIB for $305 shipped + tax on Ebay.
I own a land clearing business and I use Huskys, one of the reasons is my dealer, great dealer. I can buy a better model Husky from him, cheaper than the Home Depots Husky. My dealer says he will not warranty the ones from Home Depot and places like that. I used to have a Stihl, but someone forgot to put oil in the gas. I would go with the popular brands from a dealer, you wont be sorry. The 18" bar is big enough, for most things that you have to handle by hand. Try the aggressive chain, boy they cut fast. I would stay away from Ebay, trying to get warranty, can be a problem.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #17  
I have Huskys and Stihls, and they are great with one exception. My little Husky 350 has been problematic since the beginning. Of all the Huskys out there, that is the one that I hear of customers having trouble starting. I'm one of those customers. I had trouble starting it up right after I bought it and I almost gave up on it. Then, one day, I pulled the cord and it started right up. Worked fine for a few years and then, bam, just wouldn't start again.

I've tried everything in the world to get it to start, and just end up working myself into to a sweat. I've checked the carb, all the fuel lines/filters, the magneto, the wiring, and all look OK. About the only thing that seems suspect is the intensity of the spark isn't anywhere near what it is on my big Husky 3120 - but I'd almost expect that from a 50cc saw as compared to a 120cc unit.

Anyone out there have a Husky 350 that they've raised from the dead?

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.
Well, I went and handled them all and even a Stihl MS290. I liked the Husky 455 with 18" bar the best so that is what I'm gonna get. Now on to PRICE.

Local dealer
455 w 18" bar -$395 + tax = $423 total
455e (toolless) - $415 + tax = $445 total

Wise Sales Internet dealer in IL

455 w 18" bar - $365 total, no tax, free shipping
455e 18" bar - $400 total, no tax, free shipping

I would rather buy local, my question is, is there room to haggle a little? I figure I might as well go with the tooless version for the little extra it will cost.

EDIT: Just talked to dealer, no room to haggle he says. Will sell me as many chains as I want at the time of purchase for $10 a piece. I'm off to go buy one. Don't know if I will come home with with the standard or tooless version.

Last edited:
   / Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #19  
I you are considering mail order you might want to try Southwest Trading. I think they will do you right on the cost of a 455 and they ship quickly.

I ordered a 455 with 20" bar two chains and with shipping cost it was $353 and change. you can call them at 800-691-1519

https://www.a-chainsaw.com/index.php

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #20  
D7E said:
...AAAAGH...Don't start that....
#1 Stihl 026 or MS 260 +

I have two Husky's. One, mostly because I got a great used deal.

My favortie saw is still, my Dad's Stihl 024AV. It was bought in '79. It is still a very comfortable saw to use, works AWESOME, and has held up very well!

If I had the opportunity to get an 026 or MS260, that would be really cool!

an't knock my Husky's though. One is an early 80's 150cc machine; it cuts like crazy. The other is a couple year old arborist top handle 338XPT. It is a top notch saw...

Still, I would go for an 026 or MS260 with a 20" bar in a heartbeat :D